• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Practice test question has me stumped

Coder

Silver Member
Preparing for the CBO Technology module test soon and I am taking the ICC online course. Gets me in the zone for timed open book page flipping. Anyhow the right answer to one of the questions has me stumped and I am interested to see if anyone here can figure it out. The question is: What is the required minimum breathing zone outdoor air rate in CFM for a restaurant with a dining area of 2000 sq. ft.?

1. 1860

2. 1410

3. 2800

4. 3600

Answer is 2800

So if you look at the 2009 IMC section 403.3.1.1 Breathing zone outdoor airflow and Table 403.3 minimum ventilation rates. you can compute the equation based on cafeteria,fast food and get 1860 or Dining rooms and get 1410. Am I missing something on how to get 2800? Thanks for any replies.:banghd

Mr.Inspector said:
Preparing for the CBO Technology module test soon and I am taking the ICC online course. Gets me in the zone for timed open book page flipping. Anyhow the right answer to one of the questions has me stumped and I am interested to see if anyone here can figure it out. The question is: What is the required minimum breathing zone outdoor air rate in CFM for a restaurant with a dining area of 2000 sq. ft.? 1. 1860

2. 1410

3. 2800

4. 3600

Answer is 2800

So if you look at the 2009 IMC section 403.3.1.1 Breathing zone outdoor airflow and Table 403.3 minimum ventilation rates. you can compute the equation based on cafeteria,fast food and get 1860 or Dining rooms and get 1410. Am I missing something on how to get 2800? Thanks for any replies.:banghd
Isn't Pz missing from the equation?

Gregg Harris said:
Isn't Pz missing from the equation?
Unless I am mistaken Pz is the default occupant density #/1000ft2 column in table 403.3 = 140people

We came up with the same answer 140 X 7.5 = 1050

.18 X 2000= 360

1050 + 360 = 1410

Let us know what you find out.

Look at the older code. The problem with ICC practice test, is that they often use the last code cycle's question and fail to correct the answer........ The best response I heard from them was that the practice test is to give you an idea of what to expect on the quiz, the correctness of the answers of the practice test is irrelevant.

Of course, this is usual ICC practice to tell you an answer without providing any paperwork to back it up, so I quess you could call this hearsay....

Builder Bob said:
Look at the older code. The problem with ICC practice test, is that they often use the last code cycle's question and fail to correct the answer........ The best response I heard from them was that the practice test is to give you an idea of what to expect on the quiz, the correctness of the answers of the practice test is irrelevant. Of course, this is usual ICC practice to tell you an answer without providing any paperwork to back it up, so I quess you could call this hearsay....
The language for this was new in the 2009 IMC and is the same in the 2012 IMC. I believe the answer is incorrect.

Based on the information given, I agree with 1,410 cfm. If the question lists where the supply and returns are, a zone distribution effectiveness factor must be used.

T403.3 estimate max occ load, persons per 1000' sq is 70. So 2000' sq dinning will be 70x2= 140, outdoor air is 20cfm per person,

then 20x140= 2800

06IMC

I found a lot of wrong answers on the Online campus tests. (Which were alot harder than the "real" test)