• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Predrywall inspection, siding

Casey O'Neill

I have an accessory building at the predrywall inspection phase. I am siding the exterior with concrete fiber board fire rated 4x8 sheets with battens. Roof is dried in and tyvek paper is on the exterior walls. the walls are sheeted with 1/2" OSB. My inspector insists I need to side the entire exterior before he gives me a green tag for predrywall. He wants to inspect the nails before rock goes up. I have never run into this and have used this exact setup and schedule for 5 projects. Any advice and comment welcome.
Thanks,
Casey

Welcome

Not into construction steps/ inspections

But were the five projects in the same city as this one??

New inspector ?? Have you ever met this one before??

What is the problem with what he wants you to do??

Does the city have a handout or on the web site,,, the inspections required and when??

Some places are pretty tough on the exposed WRB (as dried-in) as it is only "good" for a short time....Different fastening criteria if you are not siding over it "right away"....

Beside the required inspections in section R190 of the 2015 IRC the building official may require additional inspections

upload_2019-10-17_9-19-29.png

in addition the BO my have standards of what is considered weather tight, and compliance with the manufacturer's standards for sheathing or wraps left exposed to the weather, or the manufacture insulation requirements of the inter products being installed.

Could be you are new to the area, he doesn't know your work. Some AHJ's are very strict as to the order things get done and wants the weather protection in place before starting the insulation and drywall.

While the IRC may perform additional inspections there is a major difference between visiting the site at random times and imposing requirements that require the contractor stop work pending an inspection. In the later case it is imperative that the contractor have had notice of these inspections in advance.

Roof is dried in and tyvek paper is on the exterior walls and install the windows and then you can insulate and install interior drywall in my area.

Missing the point, he is looking for "shiners", nails that missed the studs. I have seen this in track housing where subs with nail guns blow through and it doesn't show until the stucco begins to crack, Good inspector!

While the IRC may perform additional inspections there is a major difference between visiting the site at random times and imposing requirements that require the contractor stop work pending an inspection. In the later case it is imperative that the contractor have had notice of these inspections in advance.

I May agree to some extent. Here in NM we have a licensing system, the whole state is under the same code, and may be local policies that are more strict. The later is up to us to inform the contractor. All the required inspections shall be know by the contractor. If contractor calls with the required 24hrs notice we will be there. It is the responsibility of the contractor to know how to do his job & when to schedule thinks, not the AHJ's even when I was on the other side of the counter.

Having installed miles of siding of nearly every type I recall having to add backing almost always. Some jobs had no stud layout at all. Can't do that after the drywall is in. And yes, shiners were a thing.

And about the five projects that were done the way you wanted....well then, you ran into a competent inspector.

Last edited: