• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Pressurized hoistway

PaulR

If I have a pressurization duct running inside of my hoistway, does it need to be separated from the hoistway with a fire barrier? it seems that since it is serving only the hoistway that it should be allowed to run with no separation. Otherwise I'd have to add dampers at every single opening to the hoistway.

Maybe?? 2009

708.14.2.3 Ducts for system. Any duct system that is part of the pressurization system shall be protected with the same fire-resistance rating as required for the elevator shaft enclosure.

All ductwork necessary for hoistway pressurization must be protected from the effects of fire by enclosure in fire-resistance-rated construction equivalent to that required for the elevator hoistway shaft enclosure.

Since it is in a shaft its part of the elevator shaft?!