• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

privacy latch

pwood

Platinum Member
chapter 11 of the calif bldg code requires a privacy latch on single occupancy restrooms. what exactly is a "privacy latch"? vacant/ occupied maybe?

just a way to keep the door locked from the outside while the person inside is busy being private. some have the vacant/occupied notifications at the exterior.

The short answer is ANSI Function F76.

A privacy function lock is, well, a lock that affords privacy but not security. The bathroom in a house is a common example of appropriate application. These can be opened from the outside with a simple tool... sometimes a coin, maybe a small probe or screwdriver.

The areas I have worked in do not require an "Occupied/Vacant" indicator, but these indicators are certainly a positive way to see at a glance if the closed door to the toilet room is unlocked.

I have heard that Oregon's accessibility standard required an occupancy indicator but that the requirement was removed from the most recent edition of the standard. That's the only place I've seen an indicator required by code. As stated above, a privacy latch is like a lock but you can use a tool to unlock it from the outside rather than a key. Like the bathroom lock at home...the kids use a paper clip to unlock the door on each other. :D

LGreene said:
Like the bathroom lock at home...the kids use a paper clip to unlock the door on each other. :D
My brother and I preferred wire hangers...who knew that something as simple as unlocking a privacy lock could be so irritating.

Don't over think this thing this is a privacy latch for a toilet stall

14_bathroom-stall-door-hardware_commercial-bathroom-stall-hardware-bathroom-stall-door-latch-bathroom-latches----.jpg

metal-public-bathroom-stall-lock-S11XM7.jpg

For a door make sure the latch is accessible. Many Privacy locks are not accessible to people with disabilities.
Some buttons and twist keys are not easily manipulated with some disabilities.

shopping
shopping

Oregon's requirement for the "OCCUPIED INDICATOR" has returned!

It is hidden in Chapter 12 of the Oregon Structural Specialty Code, Section 1209.3.1, titled, "Single-use Toilet and Bathing Room.
"Doors to single-user toilet and bathing rooms, including family or assisted use rooms shall be securable from within the room and shall be provided with a privacy lock and an occupied indicator complying with Section 1010.1.9.6."
(1010.1.9.6 Unlatching. The unlatching of any door or leaf shall not require more than one operation.)

I have heard that Oregon's accessibility standard required an occupancy indicator but that the requirement was removed from the most recent edition of the standard. That's the only place I've seen an indicator required by code. As stated above, a privacy latch is like a lock but you can use a tool to unlock it from the outside rather than a key. Like the bathroom lock at home...the kids use a paper clip to unlock the door on each other. :D

Oregon's requirement for the "OCCUPIED INDICATOR" has returned!

It is hidden in Chapter 12 of the Oregon Structural Specialty Code, Section 1209.3.1, titled, "Single-use Toilet and Bathing Room.
"Doors to single-user toilet and bathing rooms, including family or assisted use rooms shall be securable from within the room and shall be provided with a privacy lock and an occupied indicator complying with Section 1010.1.9.6."
(1010.1.9.6 Unlatching. The unlatching of any door or leaf shall not require more than one operation.)

A little more money
8106CH0Cb8L._SX679_.jpg

Questions:
Is an occupancy indicator is now a type of code-required signage for the benefit of the public?
If so, how does an "occupied" indicator work with the requirements of ADAS 216.3 ("signs that provide information about interior spaces and facilities") and ADAS 703.5, including 703.5.5 for 5/8" character height?

Questions:
Is an occupancy indicator is now a type of code-required signage for the benefit of the public?
Dont know about that, but i will give a real world example from the branch banks i renovate. Code requires us to provide customer access to restrooms. (Ok, maybe not code, maybe its zoning ordinance, or ada or whatever. Don’t argue). But in many locations we don’t want to give free access to non customers, and mainly to the homeless who don’t treat the restroom nicely. So we put a key-lock on the door, and let anyone borrow the key as needed.
Without the indicator, its possible that the staff, who have their own keys, could unlock and open the door when the room is in use. We used to put a slide bolt on the inside, but that didnt show occupancy status, and prevented emergency access.

Code requires bathroom access to occupants of the building which includes bank customers....You may want to be careful with that as "keys"may be difficult for people with disabilities to manuver....

I agree with Mark.....don't over think this.
Good idea ... On paper. But when dealing with “educated” public you have to think of everything. Case in point ... the branch managers frequently get approached by customers who insist that its a code requirement to install electric door operators. The complainers are just as often walking as they are visibly handicapped. I think lazy is the term.