• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Problems at Pearson Vue

Lothar

I was sent home from the Pearson Vue Test center because THEY didn't have the required materials to proctor the exam.

Reservations were made 2 weeks in advance and when I arrived to take the 6 hour test, I was informed they called my home @ 3:30 pm the previous day and they had to reschedule.

Well, I was on my way back from a business trip and haven't been home since Sunday night. So they tend to believe I can just clear up another 6 hour window on one of the 3 days (Tuesday, Wednesday or Saturday)they are open.

I've taken enough ICC exams to know this is not typical but I have been hearing of these issues from some of my associates, now I'm forced to make concessions for their mistakes.

Has anyone else experienced this from our ICC proctor?

I haven't taken a test in the last three years, so cannot verify. Haven't heard anything in our State Chapter either. That sucks for you though.

Welcome to the forum though!

I had them give me the wrong test a few years back. I had not registered for the pre-stressed concrete test but that is what they gave me. I had to go back and take the test for concrete testing at a later date.

Sue

PS Welcome to the Forum!

Thanks for the welcome.

Been a long time lurker and registered under a couple of different handles.

The ICC is getting involved as is the Florida Bureau of Education and Testing.

I'll let you know what transpires.

I'm keeping track of this. Lothar contacted the ICC board. While this may be a rare occurrence it is definitely unacceptable.

I havn't heard that but what I can't figure out is why they are so "over-booked". I'll have to wait 2 or 3 weeks to get a test date and when I finally get in, there will only be 1 or 2 other people taking any type of test. Also, they have a real bad problem transitioning to the 2011 testing for electrical. Don't know whether its more of an ICC thing or not. I called both to make sure I was scheduling the correct tests and they were both clueless.

Since ICC has taken over the testing for various States they have transitioned over to all computer testing.

What is strange is I'm testing on the 2007 Florida Code and the 2005 NEC. These were the same requirements when I began my quest to obtain some Florida certifications almost 4 years ago.

For those who are considering to get Florida Certified you had better be a resident of the State. The hoops you need to jump through and the paperwork is ludicrous.

I spoke to a member of the Florida Building Code Commission and was told "If you don't live in this State, you will never get approved to test as long as I'm on the board!"

Well, he's no longer on the board and I'm moving things along... until now.

The most recent update from the ICC is, "Pearson Vue should not have scheduled the exam if the testing center did not have the materials." I called Pearson Vue direct and spoke with a live person to schedule. How would they know if the materials were on site?

I can see where a problem could arise if you live in Wisconsin and testing in Wisconsin for a Florida exam. The local proctoring center would not have the Florida exams onsite and would have to have them shipped in. Two weeks should have been ample time to accomplish this but it did not happen.

Thanks JP! MT I would have to agree! If it was an ICC exam and computer based there should not have been a problem. If is was a Florida state exam two week should have been enough time. Not sure we have all the facts. However, if it was an electronic exam should have been able to be accessed.

My last electronic exam was a couple of years ago and the proctor had to physically load the test into the computer I was assigned to. I don't believe the exams are available as a down load to the proctoring testing centers. So there is a time frame to have the correct exam shipped to the testing facility.

I think if you're taking an ICC specific exam, it loads right away; I was able to register for an exam for the next day.

Update:

Passed both of the exams on July 16th and July 24th.

As of today nothing about the results have been forwarded to Florida DBPR.

Pearson-Vue has failed me again!

ICC -- Please go back to the pencil/paper exams and remove an under-performing and ineffective subcontractor from your certification process.

Lothar said:
Update:passed both of the exams on July 16th and July 24th.

As of today nothing about the results have been forwarded to Florida DBPR.

Pearson-Vue has failed me again!

ICC -- Please go back to the pencil/paper exams and remove an under-performing and ineffective subcontractor from your certification process.
Kinda off topic but I envision a day coming when technology will allow us to take exams from our work or home computers. Thus eliminating the need for a subcontractor.

Lothar said:
I've never had a problem with computer-based testing.

No need to throw the baby out with the bath water

My request to take pencil/paper exams was to remove this subcontractor from the equation.

I prefer computer based exams, I've taken enough of them to get my MCP, just that my recent experience with this provider is missing the big picture --- results!

Jim,

The tests were not all that hard, unless you try to read the plans.

These were dated 1997 and referenced all the SBCCI code criteria.

I thought that was kind of amusing, as I was sitting for the 2007 Florida tests and Florida has been on the 2010 Florida Building code for 3 years.

I had to find the code editions out of the archives.

Understood. This has been discussed and the board has the CEO and staff working on this. Exam plans are awful and dated to say the least.

congratulations on passing your exams.. one of my inspectors took an exam with plans.. electronic plans that were hard to read. Electronic details are ok but whole floor plans?

JP; I don't really see a reason why the cbt couldn't be done from home since they are open book... OTHER than verifying that the person taking the test is actually the person who signed up for the test.