• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Propane tanks under a wooden deck

jack ridley

NFPA 101(life safety) says no according to my google search. I don't think this would be such a good thing. Would anyone have the specific code section that this would be under in nfpa 58? Thanks all!

Perhaps the following... this is why LP tanks are typically prohibited in apartment balconies.

NFPA 58 - 6.22.11.2
Cylinders having water capacities greater than 2.7 lb (1 kg) [nominal 1 lb (0.5 kg) LP-Gas capacity] shall not be located on decks or balconies of dwellings of two or more living units above the first floor unless they are served by exterior stairways.

NFPA 101(life safety) says no according to my google search. I don't think this would be such a good thing. Would anyone have the specific code section that this would be under in nfpa 58? Thanks all!

Buried or above ground???

Will have to look, but closeness to the house,

Plus closeness to combustibles.

NFPA 58 Table 6.4.1.1 allows containers less than 125 gallons to be right against the building. I think a container under this capacity could go under a deck as long as the relief valve is far enough from openings (Table 6.4.4.3), if this is a single-family dwelling.

See 2018 IFC table, 6104.3 for size of container and distance from buildings.

May vary by State. Not Everyone uses NFPA. Our state has it's own regs. for LP gas. As mentioned less than 125 can be just about anywhere.

Reactions: cda
this is from ifc, should be the same in 58

TABLE 6104.3 LOCATION OF LP-GAS CONTAINERS

e. The following shall apply to above-ground containers installed alongside buildings: 1. LP-gas containers of less than a 125-gallon water capacity are allowed next to the building they serve where in compliance with Items 2, 3 and 4. 2. Department of Transportation (DOTn) specification LP-gas containers shall be located and installed so that the discharge from the container pressure relief device is not less than 3 feet horizontally from building openings below the level of such discharge and shall not be beneath buildings unless the space is well ventilated to the outside and is not enclosed for more than 50 percent of its perimeter. The discharge from LP-gas container pressure relief devices shall be located not less than 5 feet from exterior sources of ignition, openings into direct-vent (sealed combustion system) appliances or mechanical ventilation air intakes. 3. ASME LP-gas containers of less than a 125-gallon water capacity shall be located and installed such that the discharge from pressure relief devices shall not terminate in or beneath buildings and shall be located not less than 5 feet horizontally from building openings below the level of such discharge and not less than 5 feet from exterior sources of ignition, openings into direct vent (sealed combustion system) appliances, or mechanical ventilation air intakes. 4. The filling connection and the vent from liquid-level gauges on either DOTn or ASME LP-gas containers filled at the point of installation shall be not less than 10 feet from exterior sources of ignition, openings into direct vent (sealed combustion system) appliances or mechanical ventilation air intakes.