• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Protection during construction

Plumb-bob

If a building with a protection system (alarm, sprinkler etc) is having work done, and components of a system(s) are offline due to construction, what is the usual strategy to protect the occupants while work is being done?
There is no guidance in the code I use (BCBC) but I have recently picked up NFPA 101 which has good information for this type of scenario. Just seeing what other people are doing.
Thanks

Plumb-bob,
I was afraid to here that the 24/7 fire watch was the only thing we can do?

Good qustion, curious if there's anything else too.

No wonder the FF pensions are crippling the State
Doesn’t have to be a FF, a rent-a-cop works. And we have only needed to have the watch outside business hours. If the normal office folks are present, one of them should see the smoke. The guard is going to be reading a book or on his cell phone anyway.

I agree on the FF not required. However the 24/7 is non-negotiable as the employees are not reliable and the fire watch involves near constant motion.

My question was very broad and I feel that the answer should obviously depend on the situation. I would be open to alternative measures of protection depending on the protection system involved, building type, occupancy, etc etc. But the fire watch sounds like a sure bet.

This question comes about because of a permit that I just finalized, and I was in an uncomfortable situation for a bit waiting for the fire alarm verification. These kinds of things do not come up too often in my neck of the woods so I am grateful to hear from more experienced inspectors.

Alarm I am less worried about than suppression being compromised, and what is that alternative, besides clear the building....

They do make temp wireless FA "rental" type systems now as an alternate.....

Should've bought stock before I posted....

If a building with a protection system (alarm, sprinkler etc) is having work done, and components of a system(s) are offline due to construction, what is the usual strategy to protect the occupants while work is being done?
There is no guidance in the code I use (BCBC) but I have recently picked up NFPA 101 which has good information for this type of scenario. Just seeing what other people are doing.
Thanks
The only issue with trying to use NFPA 101 is that its only reference (in NBC 2015) is for optional use for calculating width in assembly occupancies. (3.3.2.1). So unless BCBC has other references or Acts that empower NFPA 101, you have no legal right to refer to it, and it's thus unenforceable.

As TMurray already pointed out, your traction lies in section 5.6 of the National Fire Code, which lays out a whole host of provisions:
- fire safety plan
- 1 hr fire sep in partly occupied buildings
- keeping standpipes active during construction/demolition
- etc.

Unlike NFPA 101, Section 5.6 of NFC is empowered through code.
NBC 8.1.1.1 (3) "Fire safety at construction and demolition sites shall conform to Section 5.6. of Division B of the NFC."
and, just to be detail oriented,

1.3.3.1. Application of Parts 1, 7 and 8
1) Parts 1, 7 and 8 of Division B apply to all buildings covered in this Code. (See Article 1.1.1.1.)

That gives you the legal authority to enforce construction/demolition site safety according to NFC 5.6.

NFC is free for digital download, like NBC.

Thanks Gadget, I understand that NFPA 101 is not referenced in our codes, and therefore unenforceable. I am just using it for reference and to help structure my own thinking.

Thanks Gadget, I understand that NFPA 101 is not referenced in our codes, and therefore unenforceable. I am just using it for reference and to help structure my own thinking.

I'm *that guy* that always has the thought of "what am I saying to the judge if this goes sideways?"

IIRC, PEI once relied on NFPA 101 in statute prior to adopting NBC.

Ha Ha I totally agree that all decisions must pas the "what would the judge say" thought experiment.

This question stems from a permit that I recently finalized, I would handle something similar very differently now, live and learn.

I'm *that guy* that always has the thought of "what am I saying to the judge if this goes sideways?"

IIRC, PEI once relied on NFPA 101 in statute prior to adopting NBC.
It gets worse than that. Newfoundland had (and may still) some unholy amalgamation where they stripped the exiting requirements out of the NBC and substituted in the exiting requirements from NFPA 101. Apparently the provincial fire marshal was in charge of code adoption and he liked the exiting in NFPA 101 more.

Always scary when people start playing with the code at such a grand level without doing a serious review of the implications major amendments like these have on the remainder of the document.

NFPA 25 provides guidance regarding sprinkler impairment.The following is from the 2014 edition.

15.5* Preplanned Impairment Programs.
15.5.1 All preplanned impairments shall be authorized by
the impairment coordinator.
15.5.2 Before authorization is given, the impairment coordinator shall be responsible for verifying that the following procedures have been implemented:
(1) The extent and expected duration of the impairment have been determined.
(2) The areas or buildings involved have been inspected and the increased risks determined.
(3) Recommendations to mitigate any increased risks have been submitted to management or the property owner or designated representative.
(4) Where a fire protection system is out of service for more than 10 hours in a 24-hour period, the impairment coordinator shall arrange for one of the following:
(a) Evacuation of the building or portion of the building
affected by the system out of service
(b)*An approved fire watch
(c)*Establishment of a temporary water supply
(d)*Establishment and implementation of an approved program to eliminate potential ignition sources and limit the amount of fuel available to the fire
(5) The fire department has been notified.
(6) The insurance carrier, the alarm company, property
owner or designated representative, and other authorities
having jurisdiction have been notified.
(7) The supervisors in the areas to be affected have been notified.
(8) A tag impairment system has been implemented. (See Sec-
tion 15.3.)
(9) All necessary tools and materials have been assembled on the impairment site.

Reactions: ICE
NFPA 25 provides guidance regarding sprinkler impairment.The following is from the 2014 edition.

15.5* Preplanned Impairment Programs.
15.5.1 All preplanned impairments shall be authorized by
the impairment coordinator.
15.5.2 Before authorization is given, the impairment coordinator shall be responsible for verifying that the following procedures have been implemented:
(1) The extent and expected duration of the impairment have been determined.
(2) The areas or buildings involved have been inspected and the increased risks determined.
(3) Recommendations to mitigate any increased risks have been submitted to management or the property owner or designated representative.
(4) Where a fire protection system is out of service for more than 10 hours in a 24-hour period, the impairment coor- dinator shall arrange for one of the following:
(a) Evacuation of the building or portion of the building
affected by the system out of service (b)*An approved fire watch
(c)*Establishment of a temporary water supply
(d)*Establishment and implementation of an approved program to eliminate potential ignition sources and limit the amount of fuel available to the fire
(5) The fire department has been notified.
(6) The insurance carrier, the alarm company, property
owner or designated representative, and other authorities
having jurisdiction have been notified.
(7) The supervisors in the areas to be affected have been notified.
(8) A tag impairment system has been implemented. (See Sec-
tion 15.3.)
(9) All necessary tools and materials have been assembled on the impairment site.
I should add the impairment includes the following as per 25.
15.4 Impaired Equipment.
15.4.1 The impaired equipment shall be considered to be the water-based fire protection system, or part thereof, that is removed from service.
15.4.2 The impaired equipment shall include, but shall not be limited to, the following:
(1) Sprinkler systems
(2) Standpipe systems
(3) Fire hose systems
(4) Underground fire service mains
(5) Fire pumps
(6) Water storage tanks
(7) Water spray fixed systems
8) Foam-water systems
(9) Water mist systems
(10) Fire service control valves