• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

PV system on patio cover adjacent to in-ground pool

earshavewalls

Bronze Member
This is the first project that I have seen in over 2,000 residential PV projects I have plan checked that is proposing a microinverter PV system be installed on a patio cover that is immediately adjacent to a swimming pool. Apparently, the CMP's have not considered this possibility and I am having difficulty determining the validity and safety of the installation.

Art. 680 addresses overhead conductors and lighting, but does not address an interconnected power source in close proximity to the pool. If ceiling fans within 5' of the water's edge must be a minimum of 12' above the water level, it would stand to reason that PV modules would at least need to meet this requirement. Also, although the PV systems have GFCI protection, it is for protection from fire, not personnel protection that the GFCI protection must meet.

The intermodule connecting conductors will be in free air beneath the modules on the solid pation cover. None of these conductors should be a problem as far as people coming into contact with them. A junction box will be installed at the roof to transition from PV wire to THWN-2 and the conductors will be run in EMT on the exterior of the patio cover to the rear wall of the home, where there is a main service panel on the wall (approximately 12' from the pool edge). An AC disconnect will be installed prior to the connection to the main panel. All of these enclosures are within 12' of the water's edge.

I am not comfortable with simply approving this permit without digging into this issue first. Any input is welcomed, for or against allowing this system to be installed. It will be a single Enphase circuit of 12 modules (20amps). I am also discussing this with our Building Official. Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but I want to be sure that I do the right thing, legally and morally.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Wayne

The patio cover is a roofed structure. None of the conductors will be accessible from below. We have decided to leave this in the hands of the local Fire department. If they are OK with it, we will be OK with it.

It turns out that the patio cover was built without permits. It is likely that the homeowner will simply relocate the modules to the south side of the home (better sun there anyway) and this issue will go away.

Thanks for the input.

Wayne

would you allow any other SERVICE EQUIPMENT there? That's exactly what PV's are.. separately derived services.. different service.