• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

PV systems NEC 690.12

Bryant

Scratching my head on this topic, for one I do not review PV systems, but I think its pretty cool stuff for the record. A citizen asked the question of the requirements of the above cited article and how it applies to their situation. For context, the array is not on the house, but on an agriculturally exempt barn structure and wants to install (if required) the rapid disconnect outside under a shed roof of the barn for weather protection, assuming it is not a nema 3 type of panel.
The five points of 2014 NEC 690.12 require specific conductors to utilize a "rapid shutdown function".
question, what are the specific conductors that must follow the 5 requirements?
What are the controlled conductors and the meaning of the limitations of wire length in #1 ?
And the commentary in the NEC article is basically kicking it out to the private industry for compliance :rolleyes:.

Thanks in advance