1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Question about roof top HVAC

Discussion in 'New York State' started by William Scott, Jun 30, 2019.

1. William Scott

William Scott Registered User

I own a property in Brooklyn New York and the 3-ton Mitsubishi HVAC installed on the roof is sitting on a wooden structure. All of the other properties I own have HVACs mounted on steel beams. Does any one know if this is a code violation (mounted on wood instead)? I'm a little worried. -- Thank you.

2. Mark K

Mark K Platinum Member

There is no inherent reason that a mechanical unit cannot be installed on wood. So the use of wood in and of itself does not indicate whether you have a problem still you may want to ask several questions particularly if there is the possibility that the unit was installed on the roof with out any structural engineering input.

Is there any sign of distress or deflection in the building due to the mechanical unit? are the wood members rotting? Try to stick a screw driver into the side of the wood member. If there is signs of rot retain a structural engineer.

Mechanical units are often are labeled as to their tons of refrigeration which may be different from the actual weight of the unit.

In general if you want more assurance hire a structural engineer to look at the installation.

3. cda

cda Sawhorse

Welcome

4. cda

cda Sawhorse

So how old is the unit?

How long has the wood been up there?

5. Builder Bob

Builder Bob Sawhorse

More importantly, How tall is your building?

6. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

IMC 302.1 Structural safety. The building or structure shall not
    be weakened by the installation of mechanical systems.
    Where floors, walls, ceilings or any other portion of the
    building or structure are required to be altered or replaced in
    the process of installing or repairing any system, the building
    or structure shall be left in a safe structural condition in
    accordance with the International Building Code.

7. jar546

jar546 *****istrator

There may be issues with wind loads and how the unit is connected. If you are not in an area subject to higher wind loads, you may not be familiar with these requirements.