• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Queue Line Width

Phil B

SAWHORSE
Are queue lines for people to line up between rails or ropes whether at zoos, airports, shows, etc., considered each as an individual corridor and thus subject to 44" clear width when there are more than 50 people, OR can the line widths be a little narrower if they discharge into areas that meet required exit widths?

Do you want the

Inside a building ,,, Answer

Or

Outside a building,,, Answer

They can be narrower if you have a sufficiently wide space at the end to turn, assunimg it’s a switchback layout. I think the turn has to be 60”.

If there are permanent post installed then I would agree a 44" minimum width should be used. This area would also have to be accessible for a wheelchair user to able to use it.

If there are permanent post installed then I would agree a 44" minimum width should be used. This area would also have to be accessible for a wheelchair user to able to use it.
if there were 5 queues, say to 5 box office windows, do you believe all 5 have to be accesible? All tickets available at all windows.

2018 IBC
1109.12.5 Queue and waiting lines.
Queue and waiting lines servicing accessible counters or check-out aisles shall be accessible.

Look at TABLE 1109.12.2 ACCESSIBLE CHECK-OUT AISLES. I would use that as a guide to determine the proper number to provide. Do not get hung up on the phrase "check-out" in this section.
I believe a box office window is the same as a check out since you are purchasing admission there at that box office window counter.

access for all, why should wc's have to wait if able bodies don't?

Well being an ex certified six flags employee

Most did not have to wait, there were accommodations to get them to the head of the line.

That is why with queues outside,,, to many variables to give even a general answer

there were accommodations to get them to the head of the line.
For the rides yes but not when purchasing admission at the main gate to get into the park

2018 IBC
1110.4.8 Amusement rides.
Amusement rides that move persons through a fixed course within a defined area shall comply with Sections 1110.4.8.1 through 1110.4.8.3.

Exception: Mobile or portable amusement rides shall not be required to be accessible.

1110.4.8.1 Load and unload areas.
Load and unload areas serving amusement rides shall be accessible and be on an accessible route. Where load and unload areas have more than one loading or unloading position, at least one loading and unloading position shall be on an accessible route.

1110.4.8.2 Wheelchair spaces, ride seats designed for transfer and transfer devices.
Where amusement rides are in the load and unload position, the following shall be on an accessible route.

1. The position serving a wheelchair space.

2. Amusement ride seats designed for transfer.

3. Transfer devices.

1110.4.8.3 Minimum number.
Amusement rides shall provide at least one wheelchair space, amusement ride seat designed for transfer or transfer device.

Exceptions:

1. Amusement rides that are controlled or operated by the rider are not required to comply with this section.

2. Amusement rides designed primarily for children, where children are assisted on and off the ride by an adult, are not required to comply with this section.

3. Amusement rides that do not provide seats that are built-in or mechanically fastened shall not be required to comply with this section.

For the rides yes but not when purchasing admission at the main gate to get into the park

2018 IBC
1110.4.8 Amusement rides.
Amusement rides that move persons through a fixed course within a defined area shall comply with Sections 1110.4.8.1 through 1110.4.8.3.

Exception: Mobile or portable amusement rides shall not be required to be accessible.

1110.4.8.1 Load and unload areas.
Load and unload areas serving amusement rides shall be accessible and be on an accessible route. Where load and unload areas have more than one loading or unloading position, at least one loading and unloading position shall be on an accessible route.

1110.4.8.2 Wheelchair spaces, ride seats designed for transfer and transfer devices.
Where amusement rides are in the load and unload position, the following shall be on an accessible route.

1. The position serving a wheelchair space.

2. Amusement ride seats designed for transfer.

3. Transfer devices.

1110.4.8.3 Minimum number.
Amusement rides shall provide at least one wheelchair space, amusement ride seat designed for transfer or transfer device.

Exceptions:

1. Amusement rides that are controlled or operated by the rider are not required to comply with this section.

2. Amusement rides designed primarily for children, where children are assisted on and off the ride by an adult, are not required to comply with this section.

3. Amusement rides that do not provide seats that are built-in or mechanically fastened shall not be required to comply with this section.
Do similar requirements apply for queing lines to cafeterias and ticket windows at stadiums and theaters?

Do similar requirements apply for queing lines to cafeterias and ticket windows at stadiums and theaters?
Would a queuing rail with a single top rail higher than 27" above ground comply with cane detection requirements? The way I read it, a rail lower than 27" would be required.

Would a queuing rail with a single top rail higher than 27" above ground comply with cane detection requirements? The way I read it, a rail lower than 27" would be required.
No, does not qualify for ADA. When i buy new furniture for bank branches that i renovate, we trash the old single tape stanchions and install new double tape stanchions.

Why do you think that?
I believe it's required because if you had a rail at 36", a person sweeping with a cane would not detect anything. It would be compliant if the rail was at 27". The reply saying they use double tape rails is what I thought they should be.

It's not a guard or edge projection or a protruding object......I think it's the right thing to do, just haven't seen the requirement yet...

It's not a guard or edge projection or a protruding object......I think it's the right thing to do, just haven't seen the requirement yet...
Interesting. I’m going to push back on my auditors and see what happens. I just got audit results last week for a recently completed renovation, got dinged for the queue line stanchions. However … the picture they included in the audit shows a mix of old & new stanchions, so apparently the branch kept some of the old ones and used them to expand the line. I was going to fight that item with the comment that we can’t control what the branch staff (the occupants) do after we finish the project, but it was pointed out that we should have removed all old style stanchions from the property.

Wow. I emailed ta@access-board.gov at 1:30 and at 4:30 I had a response from Sarah Presley. Awesome turnaround. Here’s part of what she said, a little paraphrasing. My auditor referred to 307.3 Post-Mounted Objects.

I don’t think they are required to comply as protruding objects. (that was my point, they don’t protrude into the path like a low hanging light fixture or water cooler,there’s nothing to walk into).
These devices are not fixed, ADA does not cover non-fixed objects.
They are used to mark the circulation path, they are not in the path.
She did add that she would recommend not having something protruding from the top of the post (which I don’t have) like a “Enter” sign.

Are queue lines for people to line up between rails or ropes whether at zoos, airports, shows, etc., considered each as an individual corridor and thus subject to 44" clear width when there are more than 50 people, OR can the line widths be a little narrower if they discharge into areas that meet required exit widths?
My understanding is that queue lines would constitute an un-obstructed accessible route if used by the public. Minimum width for an accessible route is 36" sans door approach clearances or passing space.