• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Quick question real simple

matty1983

Not wanting to bore anyone or waste there time.But need to know I saw a house it has 3every and i mean every floor joist cut dead in half. Then a second joist over lapping 12 to 18 inches is next to it running the other half of the house. Why would some =one do this, to get an occupancy permit do i have to fix it, and some are starting to roll . thanks. Dont overr think it is exactly as i stated

Seriously there are major issues with my sisters house, I just need to know if it even should of passed an inspection twice like this? Why the heck anyone would cut everysingle floor joist at the support beam and not bolt or nail or block it together. And if it is fixable without a full gut because they have begun to roll. My lord. Any help would be great thank you.

Seriously there are major issues with my sisters house, I just need to know if it even should of passed an inspection twice like this? Why the heck anyone would cut everysingle floor joist at the support beam and not bolt or nail or block it together. And if it is fixable without a full gut because they have begun to roll. My lord. Any help would be great thank you.
A picture, some patience, and being polite to members would all go a long way.

What you are describing seems to definitely be an issue that should have been addressed; however, no one here can say definitively without a picture.

I get that but at the same time replying with no type of help is no help. If they wont contribute then I should still be nice to them. Not my first forum, but no sh** it needs to be fixed. My kids can tell me that. Im not there I have no pics I didnt want to alarm her if it wasnt neccesary. literally 1000sq ft ranch home. Basic rectangle. Steel support runs across basement. the floor joist have all been cut right on top of it. I mean cut in half and either scooted over or replaced. The overlap between the 2 beams is maybe 18 inches.

Are you sure that these aren't just floor joists that are lapped at a center load-bearing beam? As in shown by the following image.

8a826d5b3077c7e7e2e621670628277c.jpg

yes they are not connected and they have gaps between the beams and they are rolling and the floor is sagging, there are cracks throughout in frames of doors and it has walls that are bowing, and the ceiling is cracking at the seams . its not an old house and its not trashed by any means. But she needed some baseboards fixed I saw some issues kept looking the more i look the more i find. Oh and the basement half finised they went through a lot of trouble hiding those cuts. And they arent on the beam they are back a bit from it.

thgere are gaps between the 2 pieces.and on a 1000sq ft home why would it of been built that way to start with.

my niece and nephew live there im concerned and dont know if i need insurance a lawyer or both or niether

I'd suggest hiring a licensed engineer. Have them come out and provide an inspection and report. Then, with the report, if warranted you can seek legal counsel.

cool but i have 1 question shoulod it of passed an inspection like that assuming all ive said is on the up and up. I know why its happening the house is near a quarry they blow up rock daily, But that is even more baffling of why it was passed by the city 3 years ago should it of passed thanks for your help

Ty has the correct strategy laid out for you. If it is 3 years old they should have records of permits, inspections and the plans at the building department. get a professional involved. sounds like you will need it.

Ty has the correct strategy laid out for you. If it is 3 years old they should have records of permits, inspections and the plans at the building department. get a professional involved. sounds like you will need it.
not the house she bought it 3 years ago the house is 20 or 25 years old.

Not wanting to bore anyone or waste there time.But need to know I saw a house it has 3every and i mean every floor joist cut dead in half. Then a second joist over lapping 12 to 18 inches is next to it running the other half of the house. Why would some =one do this, to get an occupancy permit do i have to fix it, and some are starting to roll . thanks. Dont overr think it is exactly as i stated

Is this in a basement area or holding up the second floor??

Or other?

cool but i have 1 question shoulod it of passed an inspection like that assuming all ive said is on the up and up. I know why its happening the house is near a quarry they blow up rock daily, But that is even more baffling of why it was passed by the city 3 years ago should it of passed thanks for your help

It may have happened after city inspection

Maybe There was no city inspection

Maybe the city inspector did not no what they were looking at?

Possibly cut to fix a floor level/ sag issue??

Are these track homes,, as in did the same builder build the ones next door and across the street????

Are these track homes,, as in did the same builder build the ones next door and across the street????
and maybe you should not over think it and assume it is as stated. it was inspected at purchase by the inspector twice. Not only that it was inspect 2 years previous when it was sold. If it happened after inspection wertalking20+ beams all cut no blocks no nails separated, So I'm going to take that off the list now. possibly but every beam then not block it bolt it nothing. Can we be a little realistic. And the cuts are not uniform nor is the overlap. If the city inspector did not know 3 times a sale then another sale inspection a somne backed out , my sisters inspection. Would that nott be a them issue they deemed it safe the floor joist are rolling 2 are at 37 degree angles. Hence y original question.

do i go top insurance a lawyer both or neither. .... I will follow Ty's advice get an engineer there. I'm not dumb I know what I see I know its messed up I see whats happening. Her neighbor re did his fence told me ground sank 6 inches over 8 years, other neighbor sliding back door frame cracked. I know why again quarry explosions. I went to a few open houses noticed 2 things, things aren't square and everything has crown molding. So does my sister because of the ceiling cracks and separation.

I know there is a right way to go about this not sure the path me personally id assume walk in the quarry and yell them buy it out or i go door to door and create a class action, they will blame inspectors. Which pulls the city in. Dont want my sister niece and nephew living with me. Mine are out th house,

oh and i assume track aren't all neighborhoods track homes oh and if you look everyone's porches are sinking as will. the houses are on rock the quarry is a concrete supplier. I equate it to a house of cards in a jar on sand. Shake a little everyday itll come down.??

I'd suggest hiring a licensed engineer. Have them come out and provide an inspection and report. Then, with the report, if warranted you can seek legal counsel.
Hey thank you I did have her send me a pic it is not what you sent there are no nails no bolts no plocks no plates nothing.

If you don’t want to hire an engineer, talk with a big realty firm in the area, ask them for the name of a good qualified home inspector. He could probably do an inspection for less cost and tell you if it’s a problem, or normal. Some home inspectors have reputations for missing things, but if he is working for you and has specific things to look for, you will probably get a valid report.

Reactions: cda
and maybe you should not over think it and assume it is as stated. it was inspected at purchase by the inspector twice. Not only that it was inspect 2 years previous when it was sold. If it happened after inspection wertalking20+ beams all cut no blocks no nails separated, So I'm going to take that off the list now. possibly but every beam then not block it bolt it nothing. Can we be a little realistic. And the cuts are not uniform nor is the overlap. If the city inspector did not know 3 times a sale then another sale inspection a somne backed out , my sisters inspection. Would that nott be a them issue they deemed it safe the floor joist are rolling 2 are at 37 degree angles. Hence y original question.

do i go top insurance a lawyer both or neither. .... I will follow Ty's advice get an engineer there. I'm not dumb I know what I see I know its messed up I see whats happening. Her neighbor re did his fence told me ground sank 6 inches over 8 years, other neighbor sliding back door frame cracked. I know why again quarry explosions. I went to a few open houses noticed 2 things, things aren't square and everything has crown molding. So does my sister because of the ceiling cracks and separation.

I know there is a right way to go about this not sure the path me personally id assume walk in the quarry and yell them buy it out or i go door to door and create a class action, they will blame inspectors. Which pulls the city in. Dont want my sister niece and nephew living with me. Mine are out th house,

You kind of answered my question.

If track homes, go look at other peoples basement, to see how their joists look, and to see if cut.

I hear some cities send out city inspectors for house sales, I am use to private home inspectors doing the sales inspection, and kid of just looking over stuff, not really in depth.

Not every neighborhood are track homes. some, each home is built by different builder.

If you don’t want to hire an engineer, talk with a big realty firm in the area, ask them for the name of a good qualified home inspector. He could probably do an inspection for less cost and tell you if it’s a problem, or normal. Some home inspectors have reputations for missing things, but if he is working for you and has specific things to look for, you will probably get a valid report.

Or a private building code consultant .