• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Quiz; Structural Plan Review

Francis Vineyard

Anchor bolt resist which of the following?

a) Concentrated load

b) Tension force

c) Shear force

d) All of the above

The correct answer is d; all of the above. Can someone illustrate where and how an anchor bolt resist concentrated load (compression)?

I was thinking concentrated tension, uplift, till I read your question. Did you assume compression or did that come from them?

Same thing as live load...but different....I don't like the question, but I did get the answer.....I think the best way maybe I could explain it would be if they are the sole connection of house to foundation they resist everything that acts on that house.....

1607.4 Concentrated loads.

Floors and other similar surfaces shall be designed to support the uniformly distributed live loads prescribed in Section 1607.3 or the concentrated load, in pounds (kilonewtons), given in Table 1607.1, whichever produces the greater load effects. Unless otherwise specified, the indicated concentration shall be assumed to be uniformly distributed over an area 2.5 feet by 2.5 feet [6.25 ft2 (0.58 m2)] and shall be located so as to produce the maximum load effects in the structural members.

What if the base plate has leveling nut under it and the EOR dose not specify grouting under the column, then the nut and the anchor bolt are resisting the concentrated load from the live, dead and gravity loads placed on the bolt through the nut

Concentrated loads are also called point loads. They can be compression, tension, shear, torsion, or bending moment. The answers stinks. Anchors typically resist tension and/or shear. Anchors do not have a "concentrated" load capacity. It is like saying the anchor has a snow capacity.

Phil said:
Concentrated loads are also called point loads. They can be compression, tension, shear, torsion, or bending moment. The answers stinks. Anchors typically resist tension and/or shear. Anchors do not have a "concentrated" load capacity. It is like saying the anchor has a snow capacity.
It took a man with no arms or legs who's stuck in a post hole to set you guys straight..