• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

R-2 interior bedroom w/out window

C

chad king

Hi All, first time posting.

I would like to hear others interpretation regarding the 2015 IBC three story, R-2 apartments, interior bedroom with NO emergency emergency escape and rescue openings (EERO), each floor will be provide with a 1 hour rated corridor and exits at each end (2 exits at each floor).

As I understand it:

Per section 1030.1 In addition to the means of egress required by this chapter, provisions shall be made for emergency escape and rescue openings in Group R-2 occupancies in accordance with Tables 1006.3.2(1) and 1006.3.2(2) and Group R-3 occupancies.

Table 1006.3.2(1) stories with ONE EXIT or access to one exit for R-2 occupancies

and 1006.3.2(2) stories with ONE EXIT or access to one exit for other occupancies

So that being said the interior bedrooms as described above DO NOT require EERO's...correct?

Thanks!

Welcome

Still confused on that section

I think if you have two separate exits you are good

It always helps to post which book and year edition you are looking at.

Also is this project in city limits vs county???

Read thru this,,, see if it helps

the project is in Durango Colorado and they are under the 2015 IBC. They have not amended any of the sections as I have listed above. I agree with the post you referenced which basically says, "if you have two exits per floor you DON'T need EERO's" A couple of my contacts that are familiar with the city of Durango and there building officials said they were not allowing bedrooms without windows. This was the reason I am posting this to see if I am missing something?

the project is in Durango Colorado and they are under the 2015 IBC. They have not amended any of the sections as I have listed above. I agree with the post you referenced which basically says, "if you have two exits per floor you DON'T need EERO's" A couple of my contacts that are familiar with the city of Durango and there building officials said they were not allowing bedrooms without windows. This was the reason I am posting this to see if I am missing something?

Read thru the thread I posted

see if it makes sense

If you have two exits and the section applies

Not sure how he can deny letting you use it??

I guess he requires them on 7 story buildings??

Had this issue once when still wearing my tools with a state inspector. He red tagged us over it. After a few calls to the DP and the inspectors boss it was concluded that we met the intent of the code and that's why it wasn't flagged in plan review.

2015 IBC 1030.1 General. In addition to the means of egress required
by this chapter,
provisions shall be made for emergency
escape and rescue openings in Group R-2 occupancies in
accordance with Tables 1006.3.2(1) and 1006.3.2(2) and
Group R-3 occupancies. Basements and sleeping rooms
below the fourth story above grade plane shall have at least
one exterior emergency escape and rescue opening
in accordance
with this section.

Last edited:
Those sections are for stories with one exit not for stories with two exist or more.

The 2018 even clarifies this
1030.1 General.
In addition to the means of egress required by this chapter, emergency escape and rescue openings shall be provided in the following occupancies:

1. Group R-2 occupancies located in stories with only one exit or access to only one exit as permitted by Tables 1006.3.3(1) and 1006.3.3(2).

ICC committee interpretation

E Page 1 of 1 CHAPTER 10 MEANS OF EGRESS SECTION 1030.1 2015 Edition IBC Interpretation 03-17 Issued 5-11-2017 BU_15_03_17 SECTION 1030 EMERGENCY ESCAPE AND RESCUE 1030.1 General. In addition to the means of egress required by this chapter, provisions shall be made for emergency escape and rescue openings in Group R-2 occupancies in accordance with Tables 1006.3.2(1) and 1006.3.2(2) and Group R-3 occupancies. Basements and sleeping rooms below the fourth story above grade plane shall have at least one exterior emergency escape and rescue opening in accordance with this section. Where basements contain one or more sleeping rooms, emergency escape and rescue openings shall be required in each sleeping room, but shall not be required in adjoining areas of the basement. Such openings shall open directly into a public way or to a yard or court that opens to a public way. Exceptions: 1. Basements with a ceiling height of less than 80 inches (2032 mm) shall not be required to have emergency escape and rescue openings. 2. Emergency escape and rescue openings are not required from basements or sleeping rooms that have an exit door or exit access door that opens directly into a public way or to a yard, court or exterior exit balcony that opens to a public way. 3. Basements without habitable spaces and having not more than 200 square feet (18.6 m2) in floor area shall not be required to have emergency escape and rescue openings. ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ●

Q: Are emergency escape and rescue openings required in R-2 occupancies, where the story has more than one exit?

A: No. Emergency escape and rescue openings are not required in R-2 occupancies where the story has more than one exit. As stated in Section 1030.1, emergency escape and rescue openings are required in accordance with Tables 1006.3.2(1) and 1006.3.2(2), which call for emergency escape and rescue openings in R-2 occupancies where the story has only a single exit. Tables 1006.3.2(1) and 1006.3.2(2) refer to footnotes which require emergency escape windows in Group R-2 occupancies and sprinklers in accordance with NFPA 13 or NFPA 13R as conditions which are required for allowing single exits from the building or story. These tables are intended to address potential building design parameters for Group R-2 occupancies which are provided with only one exit. ___________________________

Last edited:
2021 IBC cleans it up alot...If you don't like EEROs
1031.2 Where required. In addition to the means of egress
required by this chapter, emergency escape and rescue openings
shall be provided in the following occupancies:
1. Group R-2 occupancies located in stories with only
one exit or access to only one exit as permitted by
Tables 1006.3.4(1) and 1006.3.4(2).

2. Group R-3 and R-4 occupancies.

Last edited:
The ICC committee interpretation is extremely helpful. Thank you all for the feed back!

So as you exit the sleeping room there will be a choice between two exits....unless you open the door and find fire....when I think about two exits from a room where I am sleeping one is through the fire and the other is through an EERO.

So as you exit the sleeping room there will be a choice between two exits....unless you open the door and find fire....when I think about two exits from a room where I am sleeping one is through the fire and the other is through an EERO.

On the eighteenth floor of Marriott?

On the eighteenth floor of Marriott?
No thanks...not me....never happen. I had a three story condo. The bedroom was on the third floor and it had an EERO. In the closet was a fire ax. That was before battery powered chainsaws.

IMG_3315.JPG

Only applicable up to 3 stories...

Basements and sleeping rooms
below the fourth story above grade plane shall have at least
one exterior emergency escape and rescue opening in accordance
with this section.