• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

R-38 vs R30 in ceiling attic space R402.2.1 IRC2009

joetheinspector

I am studying for the ICC IECC residential test and I have run into a couple of questions.

2009 IECC Section 402.2.1 Ceilings with Attic spaces.

When section 402.1.1 would require R38 in the ceiling, R-30 shall be deemed to satisfy the requirement for R-38 whenever the full height of uncompressed R30 insulation extends over the top plate at eaves . .

Question: Does this mean R-30 only over top plate with R38 in the rest of the cavity?

Or: R-30 in all of attic?

R-30 in all attic does not make cents to me as you could have a 5000 sq ft attic or larger.

if you are able to install uncompressed R-30 insulation over the top plate of an exterior wall, then you are allowed to use R-30 throughout the attic space. This would typically require a 2x10 attic floor joist over the exterior wall (if using batt insulation)

If you must compress the installed insulation over the exterior wall then you must provide R-38 (including that area that is compressed) throughout the attic space.

hope that helps ...