• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

R Value Requirement for Cathedral Ceiling

Skyy123

Hi Everyone,

Were remodeling a home in Putnam County NY, the previous Sheetrock was mounted directly on 2x10 rafters, we removed all sheetrock (2100 sq ft) I'm trying to interrupt the codes, i believe I can use R30 but it doesn't look like I'm allowed to do this for more the 500sq ft is that correct? My other question is ventilation part of the code? Because there are no working soffits or ridge vents the previous install was a hot roof and everything was sealed. I was told by the guy at Home Depot that I must have ventaltion baffles installed but obviously with the current setup they will do nothing. Any help is greatly appreciated thank you.

Closed cell foam (R- 6-6.5) would provide the required R-38 with NO ventilation required.