• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

R2 accessibility

Sifu

SAWHORSE
2018 IBC. I have a terrible time understanding these section of code so HELP PLEASE.

I have 26 buildings housing 102 R2 units. There are 5 different floor plans, all but one of which is a two story plan (multi-story). There is only one floor plan that is single story and first floor. No elevators exist. 24 of the buildings are identical and contain the single story first floor plan. 2 other buildings contain 3 two story units. These are not IRC townhomes.

My assessment is that ALL of the single story, first floor units need to be be type B units, and two of them need to be type A units.

Here is my thinking:

IBC 1107.6.2.2.1 requires 2% of all units to be type A units. 2% of 102 = 2.04 (cutting some slack) (there are no exceptions for type A units except for flood elevation and that does not apply)
IBC 1107.6.2.2.2 exc. ref. 1107.7.1 ref. 1107.7.1.1 requires all units on the 1st story to be type B units. (site impracticality issues are not present)
IBC 1107.7.2 exempts the remaining units from being type B since they are all multi-story units.