• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

racking/bolting

Well if the person survived, hopefully yes, guess they do not work for there anymore

I'm curious.....what code sections would you cite, should you think the racking system is sub-standard?

It is not whether I "think" the racking system is sub-standard. It is more the fact that I am asking for proof of design compliance as required in the IBC.

As someone who was a maintenance supervisor in a 1.1M Sq' distribution center that installed and maintained racking that was used for storage, personnel/storage workspaces I saw firsthand the damage caused by forklifts and was aware that there were standards we had to meet for repair and installation.

Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 9.59.21 AM.png

Most plans that came across my desk already had a racking page with these specs and a data sheet from the manufacturer, those that didn't were usually the problem plans and after asking for proof of design compliance a small battle began as they were not aware there was a standard and were planning on installing an uncertified system. There is a cost difference of course but the battle was never long or drawn out.

And I was just asking for the backing........I've not reviewed in years. It was a serious question, was not calling you out.

Thanks for the reference.

And I was just asking for the backing........I've not reviewed in years. It was a serious question, was not calling you out.

Thanks for the reference.

Something under structural??

This has been talked about before

The maintenace book??::;

SECTION3205
HOUSEKEEPING AND MAINTENANCE

3205.1Rack structures.

The structural integrity of racks shall be maintained.

A lady that I know told me about her experience with high piled racking during the Northridge earthquake. She ran a cardboard factory. The rack that was bolted to the floor emptied itself. The racking that was not bolted to the floor danced around but didn’t lose product.
Granted, this is an isolated event and the geometry of the stacked cardboard made the difference but I thought it was interesting.
I was inspecting new racking at her factory.

In the video the forklift barely taps a post. In my experience, forklift guards are only placed at the ends of the row. That would not have made a difference since the forklift didn’t hit the end of the row. I wonder if there’s something else at play here.

In the video the forklift barely taps a post. In my experience, forklift guards are only placed at the ends of the row. That would not have made a difference since the forklift didn’t hit the end of the row. I wonder if there’s something else at play here.

Trick photography

Trick photography
Too much weight? I can’t tell what was in the cartons but the way it went down was indicative of overloaded racking.

There should be placards with weight limits posted in many places. I find that they are missing almost every time I inspect racking. The reality is that the warehouse workers most likely have no idea how much weight they are placing on the rack.

Last edited:
It helps to have a familiarity with the structural provisions. IBC Chapter 22 deals with the design of storage racks. There are special inspection requirements for storage racks in Chapter 17 when required because of seismic loading.

The failure mode shown in the video is not addressed in the code. My guess is that racks designed for seismic forces will be less likely to experience the progressive failures of adjacent racks.