• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Ramp Handrails

Mech

2015 IBC
2009 ICC A117.1

F-1/S-2 Use group

Do ramps require intermediate handrails like stairs (handrail within 30 inches of any portion of the stairs?) I did not see any requirement, but I would like to double check.

Are removable handrails allowed on a ramp? The only restriction I saw was 1014.5 Fittings Handrails shall not rotate within their fittings. I did not see anything about "Securely Fastened"

The ramp with landings is 192 feet long rising 13 feet. Adjacent to the ramp will be a conveyor belt. The client wants to run a forklift on the ramp in case the conveyor breaks and they need to offload product and also run forklifts the whole conveyor length until it is repaired.

Thanks

No, it is not a requirement. Intermediate handrails are only required for stairways per IBC Section 1014.9.

1014.9 Intermediate Handrails
Stairways shall have intermediate handrails located in such a manner that all portions of the stairway minimum width or required capacity are within 30 inches (762 mm) of a handrail. On monumental stairs, handrails shall be located along the most direct path of egress travel.
Be aware, the code may not require them, but the code is a minimum standard and not the best practice.

steveray - The ramp satisfies accessibility; but it is also the only path between the two areas. The owner wants one normal entrance / exit, which is through the higher area. There are other egress paths in case of emergency. If need be, I am sure we can provide the required number of egress and accessible egress paths without this ramp.

Thanks Ty J. There should be a maximum of 15 people using this ramp, so everyone should have ample access to a handrail.

Ty J. got it....this has changed for "monumental" type ramps, but I guess we figure there is less danger of falling there...

1014.1 Where required. Handrails serving stairways,
ramps, stepped aisles and ramped aisles shall be adequate in
strength and attachment in accordance with Section 1607.8.
Handrails required for stairways by Section 1011.11 shall
comply with Sections 1014.2 through 1014.9. Handrails
required for ramps by Section 1012.8 shall comply with Sections
1014.2 through 1014.8
. Handrails for stepped aisles and
ramped aisles required by Section 1029.15 shall comply with
Sections 1014.2 through 1014.8.