• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Range Hood over Island (PA IRC)

tbz

Silver Member
Just trying to reconfirm, not my normal area of knowledge, Per 1901 when you have a flat top electric induction top on a center island, no range hood is required?

Counter top is 36" above floor level and ceiling is at 102" above floor.

Thus 66" of Clearance, and 1901 says 30 inches. We are looking at building a custom pot holder for the ceiling hanging above.

I just want to confirm that no range is required.

Thank you - Tom

UL 858, Standard for the Safety of Household Electric Ranges
A range hood is required for an electric stove if the stove produces more than 5 micrograms of grease when tested at 500 CFM.

you may want to check with manufacturer
  • Thermador electric ranges
  • A suitable exhaust hood to be installed above the range. Downdraft ventilation should not be used.
  • Bosch electric cooktops
  • Ventilation Recommendations We strongly recommend the installation of a ventilation hood above this appliance. For most kitchens a certified hood rating of not less than 300 CFM is recommended.

In some states, CA for one, hoods are required in Green Codes, for air quality and Mechanical Codes for removal of odors, smoke and steam.

Last edited:
Thanks, Steve & Mark
Just trying to reconfirm, not my normal area of knowledge, Per 1901 when you have a flat top electric induction top on a center island, no range hood is required?

Counter top is 36" above floor level and ceiling is at 102" above floor.

Thus 66" of Clearance, and 1901 says 30 inches. We are looking at building a custom pot holder for the ceiling hanging above.

I just want to confirm that no range is required.

Thank you - Tom

Tom,

Pa UCC currently and thankfully does not address range hoods, all per IRC and as per MMI as Mark and Steve pointed out.