• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Rebar cuts before concrete pour, have you ever seen this?

SCBO1

Platinum Member
Have you ever seen the rebar in a slab floor cut at diagonals before the concrete pour?

This seems odd to me, but I called the structual engineer and he said he had told the general to do the cuts. It is typical to see the concrete cut for control joints but this was the first I have seen the rebar cut after it was tied and ready for pour.

Has anyone seen this before?

Re: Rebar cuts before concrete pour, have you ever seen this?

seems odd to me too. control joints don't involve cutting rebar. cutting rebar before the pour invites differential settlement issues such as tripping hazards. simply stated; :mrgreen: wtf?

Apparently engineer and contractor don't understand control joints.

Probably too young or are recent graduates of a construction management course at community college.

The purpose of a slip joint is what was required here by simply wrapping the bar extension into one side of the joint with the other side restrained.

Watch them build a highway. Look at each expansion joint.

WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO WITH THESE KIDS! :cry:

I've seen some weird changes throughout the years. Haven't seen this one "yet"!

I thought it was weird when they started using post tension cables, then post tension cables with rebar installed along with it. Not just diagonal, but like conventional slab on grade with cables running beside the cables. Still don't get that one!

Mule,

This job also had a hairpen bar cut, the engineer said he would contact the general contractor to replace it.

PC

I would even consider requiring them to tear it up and starting over with proper reinforcement.

But I guess I am too lenient.