• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Receptacles at balconies

& &

"What about the deck or porch? What are the descriptions that we can use? Ya I know, it's all of them."
That option is available now!.......Person with pencil who draw can easily label these "juliet thingies"as a non-traditional, non MOE window, with side hinged glass panels.

& &

Eight inches of depth would not even let my size ten shoe fit at right angles to the building...thinking it might be a smokers' refuge or something. Otherwise, if it has a floor I would think it would serve mostly as a water retention structure to guarantee weather penetration into the wall.

The NEC doesn't usually introduce changes lightly, and I suspect that there is empirical evidence to support removing the exception.

brudgers said:
The NEC doesn't usually introduce changes lightly, and I suspect that there is empirical evidence to support removing the exception.
See post #16 for the complete text from the Report on Proposals issued by the code making panel in regards to this issue. I cut and pasted that directly from the ROP.

Chris

raider1 said:
See post #16 for the complete text from the Report on Proposals issued by the code making panel in regards to this issue. I cut and pasted that directly from the ROP.Chris
The report is conjecture, not empirical evidence.

"Without this exception, the manufactures have gotten

another mandate into the NEC to require more of their products without

providing substantiation that a problematic fire or life-safety situation exists."

This is another one of those code issues that you either see it one way or the other, nobody is changing anybodys minds. You call it or not, depending on your comfort level.

ICE said:
The report is conjecture, not empirical evidence. "Without this exception, the manufactures have gotten

another mandate into the NEC to require more of their products without

providing substantiation that a problematic fire or life-safety situation exists."
I didn't say it was empirical evidence. This is the statement made by the CMP in regards to their accepting the removal of the exception.

Take it for what it is.

Chris

raider1 said:
I didn't say it was empirical evidence. This is the statement made by the CMP in regards to their accepting the removal of the exception.Take it for what it is.

Chris
I should have said "This is for brudgers"

Plastic weatherproof cover required as well, I bet!

Let's see, GFCI outlet $8.00, outlet box $1.69, weatherproof cover $5.99, electricans labor estimated at $12.00 per box, extension cord over bacony causing a trip hazard? priceless?

I should stayed in bed, it's safer!

pc1

Pcinspector1 said:
Plastic weatherproof cover required as well, I bet! Let's see, GFCI outlet $8.00, outlet box $1.69, weatherproof cover $5.99, electricans labor estimated at $12.00 per box, extension cord over bacony causing a trip hazard? priceless?

I should stayed in bed, it's safer!

pc1
Please let me know where you are getting weather resistant tamper resistant GFCI receptacles for $8.00 a piece so I can buy a bunch. My cost is around $18.00 to $20.00 per device.

Also I don't like the cheap bubble covers and use the in-use boxes from Arlington at around $10.00 to $15.00 per box.

Chris

2006 IBC definition

BALCONY, EXTERIOR. An exterior floor projecting from and supported by a structure without additional independent supports.

It was taken out of the 2009 edition

I don't enforce the electrical code but I do find this interesting and see both sides

ICE said:
The report is conjecture, not empirical evidence. "Without this exception, the manufactures have gotten another mandate into the NEC to require more of their products without providing substantiation that a problematic fire or life-safety situation exists."
Given the way my spouse wires up holiday decorations, it is hardly conjecture.

raider1 said:
Please let me know where you are getting weather resistant tamper resistant GFCI receptacles for $8.00 a piece so I can buy a bunch. My cost is around $18.00 to $20.00 per device.Also I don't like the cheap bubble covers and use the in-use boxes from Arlington at around $10.00 to $15.00 per box.

Chris
https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=hts&oq=&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS331US331&q=GFCI+outlet#q=GFCI+outlet&hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS331US331&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=qXogT4vZDsrYiAKM7rXvCw&ved=0CIUBEK0E&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=363a328534a10174&biw=1067&bih=458

mark handler said:
Those are not weather/tamper resistant GFCI receptacles. ;) :)

A GFCI receptacle installed outside must be weather resistant as well as tamper resistant if it is a dwelling unit. (See 406.9 and 406.12 2011 NEC or 406.8 and 406.11 2008 NEC)

Chris

raider1 said:
Those are not weather/tamper resistant GFCI receptacles. ;) :) A GFCI receptacle installed outside must be weather resistant as well as tamper resistant if it is a dwelling unit. (See 406.9 and 406.12 2011 NEC or 406.8 and 406.11 2008 NEC)

Chris
The cover is listed seperate in the post above

mark handler said:
The cover is listed seperate in the post above
I am not talking about an in-use cover. The receptacle itself must be listed as weather resistant and also tamper resistant. GFCI receptacles that are listed as weather/tamper resistant list for around $20.00 a piece.

Chris

Surprisingly, they re-submitted the plans with just a guardrail, no balcony. I asked if it was because of the receptacle requirement and, no, just a design decision.

I thank you all for the responses,

GPE

That sure makes it easier.

But the Christmas decorations will still go up.....with zip cords. :beatdhrs

Couldn't help myself.......... :devil

fatboy said:
That sure makes it easier. But the Christmas decorations will still go up.....with zip cords. :beatdhrs

Couldn't help myself.......... :devil
So its still going to be a pretty building. Yeah!