• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Regarding Open Parking Garages

JOSEPH GENAVIA

Hi Guys,
I'm designing for a mechanical for this hotel which has a parking and I assumed that the garage was open because the architect told us so. I did not provide ventilation for the garage because code says it is not required. Now, I just received correction from the city to demonstrate and document that the parking garage complies with 406.5.1 to 406.5.11. The 2019 California Building Code outlines what defines an “open” parking garage in Section 406.5.2:
  • Exterior side of the structure shall have uniformly distributed openings on two or more sides
  • Area of these openings shall be at least 20% of the total perimeter wall area of each tier
  • Aggregate length of the openings shall be at least 40% of the perimeter of the tier (Exception: Not required if openings are uniformly distributed over two opposing sides of the building
I dont exactly get this section and can someone Please further explain these red text. It would be a big help for a rookie designer like me.

Take the image below as an example (random google image).

The openings on the sides of the parking structure must have an aggregate area that is greater than or equal to 20% of area of all 4+ exterior walls. i.e. - area of exterior walls multiplied by 20% is minimum area of openings

The length (or width more accurately) of the openings shall have an aggregate width that is greater than or equal to 40% of the perimeter of that floor level. i.e. - perimeter of parking structure multiplied by 40% is the minimum aggregate width of openings.

upload_2020-1-28_15-46-15.jpeg

The openings on the sides of the parking structure must have an aggregate area that is greater than or equal to 20% of area of all 4+ exterior walls. i.e. - area of exterior walls multiplied by 20% is minimum area of openings

The length (or width more accurately) of the openings shall have an aggregate width that is greater than or equal to 40% of the perimeter of that floor level. i.e. - perimeter of parking structure multiplied by 40% is the minimum aggregate width of openings.

View attachment 6396

Thankyou so much for this, I gues I just did not understand the use of tier and aggregate in this sentences, now it makes sense.

View attachment 6396
Hi dude, what about if the openings are above? How do i justify the open garage with this section? The garage has walls around it but almost 30 percent of it has no roof above it.

Hi dude, what about if the openings are above? How do i justify the open garage with this section? The garage has walls around it but almost 30 percent of it has no roof above it.
Many of the fumes and or gases present in a parking garage can be heavier than air, so nope.... openings in the roof would not meet the code requirements.

And you are full on Californian aren't you ..... "Hi dude" :cool:

Many of the fumes and or gases present in a parking garage can be heavier than air, so nope.... openings in the roof would not meet the code requirements.

And you are full on Californian aren't you ..... "Hi dude" :cool:
Thanks, I was only now informed that exterior walls are 6' while the elevation of the garage from floor to floor is 10'. That should do it.