• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Registered Plant Projects

alora

Silver Member
For any of you that are involved in registered plant projects, what do you do to make certain you're meeting all aspects of the building code?

Experience? Charts/Spreadsheets? Submit to a third party for code compliance review?

It's been my experience over the last 1+ year that preparing plans for these types of projects is like preparing plans so as to not have any plan review comments if you were to actually submit them to a building official. Plus, it helps that our particular company is an A/E firm, with mechanical & electrical engineering.

Re: Registered Plant Projects

What is a "registered plant project"?

Been in Architecture for thirty years, and never heard of "registered plant projects".

I think he's speaking about a plant that has a RDP prepare all the designs. The company pays extra fees to have dedicated inspection staff who perform all of the plan review and inspections at the site. I worked in two jurisidictions where we provided the service.

It was a very common practice in large aerospace, semiconductor, health care, and the more complex manufacturing occupancies.

mark handler said:
... Been in Architecture for thirty years, and never heard of "registered plant projects".
I guess it's not so much "Architecture" as much as it is reading & understanding the building code.

hazmatpoobah said:
I think he's speaking about a plant that has a RDP prepare all the designs. The company pays extra fees to have dedicated inspection staff who perform all of the plan review and inspections at the site. I worked in two jurisidictions where we provided the service.It was a very common practice in large aerospace, semiconductor, health care, and the more complex manufacturing occupancies.
You're correct - it's also for facility-type projects. In our case, our firm is hired by these corporations to provide the necessary drawings. Per our building official, the corporation is required to submit the drawings for all the work performed the previous fiscal year when applying for the next year's "annual permit" (maybe Mark H. knows what that one is).

Annual permits are common in electrical work. In my previous life we did them for a large steel producer. We still inspected the work but they paid an annual fee based on the amount of work done the previous year.

Are you implying that a Architect does not read & understand the building code?

Registered Plant Projects? Where do you get reading & understanding the building code?