• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Reinforcement coverage

darcar

Silver Member
I had this issue when I recently tested for my IBC Commercial Inspector and now its surfacing in a real life senerio...

I'm looking for how much coverage is required for reinforcement in the 2009 IBC...

Section 1907.5 states that depth, coverage etc. shall comply with ACI 318 Section 7.5... section 7.5 of the concrete manual is a section that addresses BLENDED HYDRAULIC CEMENTS ...?...(I purchased the 2009 IBC and ACI 318-08)

I had several questions for my test that were directed to the concrete manual, and the sections didn't coincide with the topic or question at hand

Any thoughts?...

forget it... I figured it out.

I misunderstood and bought the CONCRETE MANUAL when in reality I needed the BUILDING CODE REQUIREMENTS FOR STRUCTURAL CONCRETE...this was not clear and feel like the CASH COW that is the ICC has mislead me and tricked me into purchasing a book that I didnt need!

Buyer beware

darcar,

Would you please share your results of how much coverage is required, and the applicable

code section?

Thanks!

globe trekker said:
darcar,Would you please share your results of how much coverage is required, and the applicable

code section?

Thanks!

As soon as the book arrives :)

looking at the "Manual" it appears the req depends on if its a footing or wall.

Wall clearances req 3/4" to inside face, and 1-1/2" to outside face.

2" clearance to bar ends

3/8" if depth is 8" or less and 1/2" if >8" depth...

its kind of hard to understand the tables