• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Reinstalling Roof Ballast

phuzzy phil

Does IBC-1511.5 prevent reusing roof ballast rock? This EPDM ballasted thermoset roof re-cover project intends on reusing the existing ballast rock. The Commentary talks about roof coverings (shingles, shakes) that are damaged during removal are not allowable for re-use, but I'm not sure why reuse of ballast rock would not be permissible.

1511.5 Reinstallation of materials. Existing slate, clay or
cement tile shall be permitted for reinstallation, except that
damaged, cracked or broken slate or tile shall not be reinstalled.
Existing vent flashing, metal edgings, drain outlets,
collars and metal counterflashings shall not be reinstalled
where rusted, damaged or deteriorated. Aggregate surfacing
materials shall not be reinstalled.

Not a roofer

Looks like reuse of rocks is allowed

BS] AGGREGATE. In roofing, crushed stone, crushed slag or water-worn gravel used for surfacing for roof coverings.

BS] ROOF COVERING. The covering applied to the roof deck for weather resistance, fire classification or appearance.

Does IBC-1511.5 prevent reusing roof ballast rock? This EPDM ballasted thermoset roof re-cover project intends on reusing the existing ballast rock. The Commentary talks about roof coverings (shingles, shakes) that are damaged during removal are not allowable for re-use, but I'm not sure why reuse of ballast rock would not be permissible.

1511.5 Reinstallation of materials. Existing slate, clay or
cement tile shall be permitted for reinstallation, except that
damaged, cracked or broken slate or tile shall not be reinstalled.
Existing vent flashing, metal edgings, drain outlets,
collars and metal counterflashings shall not be reinstalled
where rusted, damaged or deteriorated. Aggregate surfacing
materials shall not be reinstalled.
Welcome to the forum. If you find your answer, consider joining the forum and keep it alive by becoming a paid member (a Sawhorse).

Regarding your inquiry, aggregate surfacing typically refers to materials such as sand, gravel and crushed stone that are used with a binding medium to create a composite surface. Aggregate ballast on the other hand, is simply that - ballast.

Should not be a problem to push the aggregate ballast to one side of the roof, replace and install the new roofing, and then redistribute the ballast.

The Commentary is silent on that part of the section. However, my guess is that when they refer to aggregate surfacing materials, they mean asphalt shingles and roll roofing, which have a mineral aggregate surfacing. Loose ballast cannot be damaged, so I don't see a reason why that material cannot be reused.

@ = = = >

phuzzy phil,

Welcome to The Building Codes Forum ! :)

If existing roof [ aggregate ] ballast is proposed
for reuse, don't forget
about Section 104.9.1,
`18 IBC:

"Materials that are reused shall comply with the
requirements of this Code for new materials.
Used equipment and devices shall not be reused
unless approved by the building official".

I recommend obtaining written approval from
the Building Official prior to estimating the
new roofing assembly costs.

< = = = @

Do you even need the ballast? The agency I used to work stopped doing ballasted roofs in the 90s and was replacing them with direct glued-down membranes. EPDM shrinks over times, and ballasted roofs pull away from walls & edges leading to leaks.

I agree, it is better not to use ballasts. My roof had to be redone and a lot of time and money was spent on it.
Do you even need the ballast? The agency I used to work stopped doing ballasted roofs in the 90s and was replacing them with direct glued-down membranes. EPDM shrinks over times, and ballasted roofs pull away from walls & edges leading to leaks.

This is not a "code" answer, so it's slightly off-topic, but I can tell you that a lot of developers we are working with are reroofing with Spray Polyurethane Foam (SPF) roofs, for several reasons:
- It's a "cool roof", providing both thermal reflectance and a little more insulation value.
- Almost no special flashings required: the foam seals right around pipes, vents, unistrut, etc.
- Goes over any rough subsurface
- Easy to retrofit later: if you need to later add a piece of roof equipment, just carve out the foam down to expose the deck, anchor the equipment, and spray the foam around the hole to seal it again.

Foam is normally a bit more expensive than a TPO roof, but in so Cal our roofing market is still red-hot, so the foam roofers (who are in less demand) have actually been competitively priced compared to TPO. In combination with the savings on flashings, it's been a win all around.

This is not a "code" answer, so it's slightly off-topic, but I can tell you that a lot of developers we are working with are reroofing with Spray Polyurethane Foam (SPF) roofs, for several reasons:
- It's a "cool roof", providing both thermal reflectance and a little more insulation value.
- Almost no special flashings required: the foam seals right around pipes, vents, unistrut, etc.
- Goes over any rough subsurface
- Easy to retrofit later: if you need to later add a piece of roof equipment, just carve out the foam down to expose the deck, anchor the equipment, and spray the foam around the hole to seal it again.

Foam is normally a bit more expensive than a TPO roof, but in so Cal our roofing market is still red-hot, so the foam roofers (who are in less demand) have actually been competitively priced compared to TPO. In combination with the savings on flashings, it's been a win all around.

I'm sure that stuff is awesome out there where it never rains or snows. A lifetime ago I worked for a commercial roofing outfit, and we tore off countless acres of that foam garbage because it just won't last around here. Repeated freeze/thaws, 100* in the summer and -10* in the winter, spring rains that last 3 months of the year, whatever - it just can't hold up in this part of the world. One size does not fit all.

Spray foam needs an elastomeric coating over the foam to protect against UV light and routine surface damage. I used to be skeptical about it, but I've seen spray foam roofs that have lasted a long time. A good, competent contractor is a must. If the applicator doesn't know what he's doing it may self-destruct in 5 years or so.

I should have known more about this when my roof was being redone. I trusted the first guy I hired and It was a mistake from my part.

I should have known more about this when my roof was being redone. I trusted the first guy I hired and It was a mistake from my part.
I should have known more about this when my roof was being redone. I trusted the first guy I hired and It was a mistake from my part. They did everything fast and that was a bit suspect, but for some reason I decided to trust them, and I was really disappointed with the end result. I had to pay, because that was the deal, but I was not happy. Something good still came out of that because I hated it so much that I decided to install something different. I went with SkyPod roof. I should have done that from the start and company that installed it did an awesome job.

I should have known more about this when my roof was being redone. I trusted the first guy I hired and It was a mistake from my part. They did everything fast and that was a bit suspect, but for some reason I decided to trust them, and I was really disappointed with the end result. I had to pay, because that was the deal, but I was not happy. Something good still came out of that because I hated it so much that I decided to install something different. I went with SkyPod roof. I should have done that from the start and company that installed it did an awesome job.