• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Remote locking door hardware

McShan

Bronze Member
The city I am working with is building a Bathroom at one of their parks and would like to be able to lock and unlock the building remotely. Is this possible and where can I find the specs and cost associated with the installation. Thanks in advance

There are lots of options depending on the preferred lock manufacturer and any existing access control software that's being used. I would recommend using an electromechanical lock - not an electromagnetic lock - so they don't have to worry about egress if someone is in the bathroom when the door gets locked. Another factor of which lock to choose is whether the bathroom is just one stall or multiple stalls. A local security integrator would be the best person to help choose the specific components of the system.

It is the entrance to the building once in inside they can go to identified bathroom.

The city I am working with is building a Bathroom at one of their parks and would like to be able to lock and unlock the building remotely. Is this possible and where can I find the specs and cost associated with the installation. Thanks in advance
if the locking of the doors is after posted hours of park operation there is no issue.

if the locking of the doors is after posted hours of park operation there is no issue.

I'm curious about this...the IBC doesn't differentiate between occupied and unoccupied so I almost always default to hardware that allows free egress at all times. I've heard some horror stories about people getting locked in, and I even got locked in a stairwell myself once - it was a historic building and the exterior stair discharge door wouldn't open. I've also found that when a facility starts using security measures that don't allow free egress, it begins with after hours and eventually the security device is in place even when the building is occupied. That wouldn't be an issue with the restrooms in this post, but I just think it's a slippery slope.

I'm curious about this...the IBC doesn't differentiate between occupied and unoccupied so I almost always default to hardware that allows free egress at all times. I've heard some horror stories about people getting locked in, and I even got locked in a stairwell myself once - it was a historic building and the exterior stair discharge door wouldn't open. I've also found that when a facility starts using security measures that don't allow free egress, it begins with after hours and eventually the security device is in place even when the building is occupied. That wouldn't be an issue with the restrooms in this post, but I just think it's a slippery slope.
agreed