• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Tami Kump

I have a turn of the century building (not sure if it's on the National Historic Registry) that had a chair lift added in the 90's. The lift is in the main entrance foyer and ascends 5 steps into the main portion of the office building. The building has since changed ownership and the chair lift recently became inoperable. My question is if the new owner is required to fix / replace the chair lift, or if it can be removed under the conditions of the Existing Building Code (which would not have required it to be installed in the first place).
Any direction on this issue would be helpful and if you could also direct me to where I might find documentation supporting the requirements, it would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you

Not really enough info. - a few questions:

What kind of building/what use?
How big is it?
What's the occupant load?
Is there an accessible entrance/exit somewhere in the building that's not associated with this lift?

Thanks for the quick response.
It's a 4 story building used as office space. There are no other accessible entrances. The first floor is about 4,000 SF. My thought is that because the lift was already there, you can't make it less accessible than what it is now.

It depends if it was required when the lift was installed (i.e. alterations, change of occupancy, etc.) not when the building was first occupied. Assuming the chair lift was provided for accessibility in Wisconsin currently under the 2015 Existing Building Code;
410.2 Maintenance of facilities. A facility that is constructed or altered to be accessible shall be maintained accessible during occupancy.

Nothing in the code about chair lifts. A chair lift cannot be a component of an accessible path so I would not think it would need to be replaced. I think the 20% rule might need to be used if there is work that requires a permit for this existing building.

I do ICC codes. But I don't do ADA. What do you think ADAguy? An elevator for every to floor?