• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

REScheck question

rktect 1

Gold Member
I recently asked a permitee to submit a REScheck for the 6 unit townhouse. First townhouse I have reviewed and I have several problems with it.

1. The report (not including the inspection sheets) is one page (front side only)

2. The report lists compliance as passed on a UA trade off without telling me what this trade off was/is.

3. Not signed and or sealed by the DPR. Should it be sealed?

4. The report shows R-38 batt in the ceiling/roof truss as well as a continuous R-3.4. Where does he recieve the continuous R value when there is not rigid insulation being called out on the drawings in the ceilings?

5. Should each townhouse have its own report or can they lump all 6 together the way it has been submitted?

Any input is appreciated.

Re: REScheck question

When you send your plan-check comments, ask for the complete ResCheck report. Ensure that the values on the ResCheck match the design drawings. I often have energy code reports that pass, but don't match the design! Funny how some designers simply think they have to tweak the data in the report, without actually designing to that standard... for instance, the report states R-19 batts in the walls - which are shown as 2 x 4 on the plans??? That doesn't work ordinarily.

Have him revise his roof design or re-do the calc.

With regard to signing/stamping, (what I require) the report can either be included on a design sheet (which is signed/stamped) or submitted as an 8.5 x 11 separate document (and signed/stamped).

The townhouses can have one single report, however, the calculation has to indicate and account for the insulation between the units, resulting in six separate building envelopes.

The R-38 would also require a raised heel truss design so the R-38 is not being compressed at the eaves. Now you have to block the trusses to prevent rotation.

One more thing I noticed. It seems that the REScheck is including the exterior walls for the garages with an R-value of R-15. I say it seems to because nowhere does it list the R-30 value of the ceiling inside the garage for the first floor. Garage doors are not listed anywhere on the set and certainly have less R-value and even if they did have an R-value of R-15, They should be listed somewhere on the plans. Right?

Same for the windows which are listed as Low-E but I can not find any info for that on the plans.

1. The reports that I receive never less than two pages before you get to the inspection sheets. I would ask for separate entries for each type and elevation of wall and each type of ceiling surface.

2. ResCheck trade off worksheet is a method that I have not seen for over five years. Does the worksheet refer to the current edition of the energy code?

3. The codes used to require a LDP to prepare the reports. I think that this was taken out when ICC took over the energy codes. If state licensing law allows a builder to prepare permit drawings, they probably can prepare the ResCheck as well.

4. Sounds like you caught a mistake. When the insulation is deeper than the ceiling joists, the part above the joists is continuous. ResCheck instructions tell you to ignore that because the software will make that adjustment based on your input of roof/ceiling construction type.

5. You can use either method.

Paul—my understanding is that ResCheck do not allow you to include the party wall as part of the area of exterior wall because the exterior wall area is limited to wall that separates conditioned from unconditioned space. When I see a townhouse with percentage of glazing listed that is much lower than 25%, this is where I find the mistake in the takeoff.

Rk—Unless the garage is heated, you would look for the insulation value of the garage ceiling entered as the floor of a conditioned room above. No conditioned space above, then no heat loss at the garage ceiling.

You can manipulate RES check a million ways; the purpose of it, I believe in most places, is to eliminate the RDP from having to seal it..

having said that, once you get into REScheck... and it's submitted with the permit documents, everything needs to match, and should get caught at plan review.

With townhouses, I believe you can show insulation on only one shared wall and still meet the energy code.. only truly exterior walls need to be considered separately (perimeter walls, bump outs, etc). .. yeah, it sucks if one of the interior units remains un- occupied.

I worked REScheck once, that we wouldn't have to insulate the basement walls by just using low E windows and a high efficiency furnace.

It's a great tool, but the building design needs to reflect the REScheck assumptions.

Most of the RESchecks I see still have errors, mostly in the REScheck matching the plans. Other errors are double dipping on the ceiling insulation, claiming a continuous insulation value using normal sheathing, claiming a 90%+ furnace with a Manual J showing 80%, etc. Anything to get a permit, basically. Accuracy not needed...

Regarding the roof insulation. If you go to the excellent Help section built into the program, it clarifies that the program already takes into account the compression at eaves of the insulation, unless the raised heel option is specified. It also makes clear that one can consider roof insulation that occurs above the chord of the truss to be continuous, if installed that way, i.e. with no gaps. So, depending on how he is installing the roof insulation, that may well be valid without the use of foam plastic.