• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Residential code for replacement tempered glass IGU unit DC

medusa

I have been researching on replacement the now defective foggy IGU windows we have. I have come across the little know occurance that one installer has ( from manufacturer) where they are want ting to etch the information I assume normally encountered in commercial buildings but undesirable for residential units. As I read DC code I don't see any separately noted residential guidelines for windows glass. Can I get away with a sticker if I have to have any info at all and how do I express my wishes this to the manufacturer?
Thanks in advance.

claire

2018 IRC
R308.1 Identification.
Except as indicated in Section R308.1.1 each pane of glazing installed in hazardous locations as defined in Section R308.4 shall be provided with a manufacturer’s designation specifying who applied the designation, the type of glass and the safety glazing standard with which it complies, and that is visible in the final installation. The designation shall be acid etched, sandblasted, ceramic-fired, laser etched, embossed, or be of a type that once applied cannot be removed without being destroyed. A label shall be permitted in lieu of the manufacturer’s designation.

Exceptions:

1. For other than tempered glass, manufacturer’s designations are not required provided that the building official approves the use of a certificate, affidavit or other evidence confirming compliance with this code.

2. Tempered spandrel glass is permitted to be identified by the manufacturer with a removable paper designation.

I have never had an issue with the etching, half the time its hard to see, shouldn't be a worry.

I suspect the manufacturer is going to tell you they are set up to etch all tempered glass, and you don’t have a choice. Or … that will be a special order with extra cost and longer lead times.

Is rhe label is supposed to remain on the window? What is required to be on the label? It’s odd that there is s specific set of instructions for a manufacturer’s designation and then it can be replaced with an ambiguous label. I suppose that the manufacturer’s designation refers to the etched and or embossed info and not the actual info…..so a label would still need to provide that same info.
The label would have to be there for inspection and after that there no way of knowing once the label is removed.

Who has some pictures of the labels?

Last edited:
@ @ > < @ @

iu

@ @ > < @ @