• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Residential renovations and accessibility

mtomarch

Can anyone here explain what level of accessibility/adaptability/usability you need to comply with when renovating an apartment in NYC? I plan on moving plumbing, so I know that I'm activating some kind of requirement. I also have done the research and know about Type A and Type B units, Type A in R2 units, Chapter 11, Appendix P, ICC/ANSI A117.1, ADAAG, ADA, FHA, LL 58/87... the list just goes on and on.

But what I can't tell from any of this is; when you're renovating, as opposed to building new, which standard do you have to comply with? I'm on the fifth floor of a 30 unit elevator building, but the elevator isn't close to accessible. The front door to the unit is wide enough but doesn't have clearances on pull or push side. My unit is tiny, and cannot fit a Type A or even an Appendix P bathroom. I only have a 5' by 7' space to work with. I'm hoping to get away with a Type B bathroom that satisfies the 'usable' dimensional requirements.

Any help would be appreciated, even if the suggestion is just to apply for a permit and risk being rejected. What's the worst that could happen? I've not done this before.

Thanks

- Frustrated, AIA

Welcome

Do you know any code consultants in your area?? That can help you

I've done many NYC apartment renovations and unit combinations. In short, you must follow LL58/87, which in summary allows you to renovate an existing bathroom fixtures and it's finishes without complying with current accessibility laws. HOWEVER, if you modify or in anyway alter the size of the bathroom you will at the very least need to provide a bathroom that meets NYCBC Ch.11 standards for an adaptable Type B unit.

Furthermore, any modification you make needs to be made adaptable not accessible. FYI: typically you will have a reviewing architect who is hired by the building that you need to submit plans to prior to filing with the DOB. So you'll have another set of eyes on your work. Be careful with your arrangements, they building most likely will not allow you to put "wet over dry" (that is new wet areas over existing dry areas).