• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Residential solar permit valuation or fee?

Bender

Hi all, I hope you can let me know what you guys are doing with your residential solar permits. I have had a couple contractor question the fact that we use the valuation table for our solar permits fees. Our fee schedule doesn't have anything for solar specifically and this is the only way I can see to do this under out adopted fee schedule. What do you guys have in your schedules or how do you value them? I'm in south King County Washington State if that helps. Thanks all Bender

California:

Fees cannot exceed $500 plus $15 per kilowatt for each kilowatt above 15kW for residential permits and, for commercial permits, $1,000 for systems up to 50kW plus $7 per kW for each kW between 51kW and 250kW, plus $5 per kW for each kW above 250kW

We use a flat fee of $75.00 building, $150.00 for electrical however we are considering raising the fees, systems here are north of $50K and the submittal have been a bear take lots of time to review and getting the correct structure information and the batteries locations that are a problem.

I think there are many being installed if permits are that expensive! How is that kind of price for permit justified?
System cost (valuation).....not permit cost...

I don't have to justify the cost of my permits....Not until a lot of other municipalities get successfully sued anyway....

The state of California set the price. Next year a law takes effect that does away with plan check for solar systems that are 10kw or less. The Solar APP will simplify the permitting process. As it stands now, many jurisdictions perform a cursory inspection. There will come a day when the solar contractors will self certify in lieu of inspections. Energy storage systems are not far behind.

Valuation chart is used.

1200sq ft homes on average
The first one here was $10,000.00 around 2017
The last one I permitted was $42,000.00

There was a fire at a residence this year, not by the solar roof PV system. The contractor had to pay $12,000.00 to have them removed and put back after a new roof install.

Valuation works fine.