• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Residential Unit Balconies Included in Building Area?

Lex

Looking at a Group R-2 apartment building with identical residential floor plans consisting of hundreds of residential units. Each of the units has a small (50 ft2) balcony accessed via a sliding door from the unit. Since these are identical floor plates, balcony projections all line up so that the floor of the balcony of the unit above acts as a roof/covering over each balcony.

My question is whether or not these balconies would need to be included as part of the Building Area for the allowable area analysis. Based on the definition of 'Area, Building' in Section 202 of the 2018 IBC, "Areas of the building not provided with surrounding walls shall be included in the building area if such areas are included within the horizontal projection of the roof or floor above." Based on this, I would assume these balconies would need to be included since the balcony above acts as a roof projection.

Is this the correct interpretation, or am I off base on this?