• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Resin material sheds

SCBO1

Platinum Member
Has anyone issued a permit for a resin material shed from a big box store?

Are they code compliant?

Well, 2006 IRC exempts sheds over 120 sq. ft. We only allow sheds 120 sq. ft. or less. Zoning requires a permit due to location issues so we require them to be secured to a foundation of some sort (slab or piers) so they don't blow around a lot and are not relocated easily after the final.

Are we talking about the rubbermaid type tool sheds? They really are just like plastic playground toys... except for the size, I wouldn't worry about them (and I haven't seen one greater than 120 sf.. interesting coincidence?)

200 square feet in 2009 right? It is in Virginia anyway. Sheds that are less than 200 sqft must still meet code requirements, setbacks and other zoning requirements even though they don't need a permit. Zoning will enforce if someone complains.

I think the question was, do these sheds need to meet "building code" referring to structure, egress etc. I think the answer is "if they are under 150/200sf (depending on code year) then they do not have to meet any other dimensional requirements. Don't be concerned with the roof loads etc. Essentially they are "code compliant" no matter what they look like or are.

We amended the 09 to reflect the 06 requirement of 120 s.f. is exempt. So, even though they don't require a permit, they must comply with the code for loads. That being said, since we will never know they are going in, the manufacturer has the responsibility of making sure they will comply with load requirements. Out of my hands.

Yankee,

Thank you for clarifing the question for me, the concern is do they meet the code? Others posted zoning issues, that too has to be met here with a distance from the main structure and setback requirements. Our city requires a permit for all shed even a 7'x7' shed, and we don't want them next to the house with flamables stored in them.

I did not see where Rubbermaid sheds are code compliant in their information, they refer back to the AHJ for restrictions.

pc1