• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Restroom lav clearance

e hilton

Bronze Member
Multi user restroom. ADA 606.3 reads the same for 2010 & 2014: counter top in front of lav to be not more than 34” aff. I have one that is at 34-1/8” and I need to lower it. (Don’t bother discussing if 1/8” is reasonable, the customer has decided to move it.). Here’s the layout:

The restroom has a toilet partition creating an accessible area, which includes an accessible toilet and a lav. The entire accessible area is fully compliant.

The remainder of the restroom, the area you first walk into, has a second toilet inside a stall, and 2 side by side lavs. The “violation” is the common area lav counter.

Question: since there is a compliant lav in the restroom, does the double lav counter need to be compliant? I guess one could argue that there could be someone in the compliant partition, and a second person wanted to use the double lav.

As to your first comment, if you have a top-set lavatory, then you need to be measuring the 34" max to the top of the lavatory rim, not to the countertop.
Lately, we've revised all our accessible countertop details down to 33 5/8" AFF, so that a typical top-set lav rim will still be at 34" or less.

ADAS 213.3.4 says "Where lavatories are provided, at least one shall comply with with 606 and shall not be located in a toilet compartment." That means you need at least one of the other lavs (in the first entry area) to comply with the 34" height.

1605726411363.png

Thanks. It is a undercounter mount, so measuring to the edge of the counter is correct. And your second answer ... not what i want to hear ... is clear.

Does the floor beneath the lav slope to a floor drain?
It may be 34" at the wall but higher at the leading edge due to the slope.

No, it’s measured correctly. The company hired an architectural firm that specializes in accessibilty stuff, they did very comprehensive surveys of several locations.