• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

REVISIONS - Where to Draw The Line & Require Another Permit

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Where do you draw the line on a permitted construction project and require another permit and not just a revision?
Some examples to ponder.

1) Permit issued for a kitchen and guest bath remodel is nearing the final inspections stage. Now they decided they want to completely renovate the master bedroom and bathroom. All roughs were already signed off.

2) Contractor has a new construction permit for a SFR. As things are winding down and they are doing interior finish work, they want to add a detached garage as a revision.

1. If moving walls or relocating plumbing fixtures we would require permits.

2. New permit required for the detached garage.
We always require separate permits detached garages/buildings.

1 & 2 would require a separate permit. When the work isn't even in the same area a permit is usually required however, the scope can make a difference.

How about a new dwelling and they decide to add a modest covered, open patio? You already have an expensive permit for the dwelling. Your jurisdiction may or may not require Planning Dept. approval. My thinking is that if the setback is met, have at it and hope that we don't get caught.

Last edited:
Where do you draw the line on a permitted construction project and require another permit and not just a revision?
Some examples to ponder.

1) Permit issued for a kitchen and guest bath remodel is nearing the final inspections stage. Now they decided they want to completely renovate the master bedroom and bathroom. All roughs were already signed off.

2) Contractor has a new construction permit for a SFR. As things are winding down and they are doing interior finish work, they want to add a detached garage as a revision.
I would probably make both of those new permits. However, I can see how #1 may be able to end up as an amendment to that original permit based on you software and ability to correctly add all fees and inspections.

My problem is when I see a permit come in for a driveway. As I start reading through the material I may notice that they also want to do an AC unit and rebuild their shed. When I started at this municipality they would accept this as one permit. That has now ended.

Both would be new permits for me.

In situation #1, I could see it as an amendment if they were doing everything at the same time and the scope of work naturally evolved, but where the roughs are complete and signed off, I would say a new permit is required.

The goal of any permit process is to verify code compliance, and everyone prefers the most efficient method possible.
I assume an amendment is acceptable and preferable as the plans are likely to get circulated back the plan checker who is already most familiar with the site and building.

Here's some examples where I would not do an amendment, and instead require a new plan check:
  • Where the amended plan may require significant zoning or review or entitlement. A detached garage might have zoning or design review board implications in your community.
  • If the plans significantly impact stormwater / LID drainage patterns and permits.
  • Change in occupancy.

An amendment is a real hassle here....minor change of scope, we might change the project description..Any significant "Add" is a new permit...Those would both be new permits with 1. being a rapid approval with no structural. 2. Would have to get zoning approval so I can't do a ton to speed that up...