• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Ridge beam questions

drfeno

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I'm not a contractor, but I've done a lot of framing, windows, roofs, plumbing, electrical, etc. I have done a few projects where I got building permits and had to pass inspections. I'm considering building a 3 br home in Vermont to be used mainly as a short term rental/investment property. I'm designing it myself, and I had a question regarding ridge beams for vaulted ceilings. Its not easy to find tables for ridge beam spans. I was at a house recently that had a vaulted ceiling, and it had multiple beams supporting the rafters. One at the peak, and 2 more on each side. the beams were doubled 2x10's, and they were spanning about 12 feet. I would probably do a beam at the peak and one on each side. I'm looking to span about 14 feet for the peak beam and one side, and about 17 feet on the other side. I would probably be using 2x10 rafters, with a 10 pitch. the rafters span would be 15 feet not counting support from the side beams, if I put the beams in the middle, then they would actually only be spanning about 7.5 feet between supports. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks,

Dave

You can also purchase StruCalc or BeamCheck and use them to assist you. The recommendation would be to have a licensed design professional such as an engineer or architect to assist you with the critical components.

Also consider LVL's, the manufactures usually have span charts for thier products.