• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Roof Sheathing

InspMO

Bronze Member
Is there anyone out there that still sees lumber roof sheathing as described in R803.1 on with asphalt shingles :?:

Re: Roof Sheathing

InspMo,

I've seen some in Shawnee, Oklahoma on new home construction within the past few months. Back in the 60's and 70s; we used demensional lumber (boards) for roof and shiplap for sub-flooring. We installed shiplap diaganoly for sub-flooring; and then added plywood sheathing or hardwood flooring on top. Had no clue that there even was a code, much less Section R503 requirements. Maybe they came by and took pictures and notes. :)

An advantage of using demensional lumber (spaced using 8d nail) on the roof; was that roof leak damage was usually confined to small areas where you could cut out the bad spots and replace it with just a small length of board.

Uncle Bob

Sadly, no I haven't seen any on new buildings.

Most of the repairs to older buildings replace it with OSB or plywood.

On those older buldings I often see shiplap used for the wall sheathing as well as the roof and sub-flooring. Typically with cement/concrete remnants on them as the boards were first used as forms to pour the foundation walls, then re-used as sheathing.

Talk about limiting waste on a project! Or should I say 'green building techniques'... :eek:

InspectMo, We have a few houses in Willow Springs Mo. using this.

Not on roofs but I installed a diagonal plank subfloor on a house in 1977!