• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

S1 and bathrooms

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Just got a set of plans from a local school district. Looks like a metal pole barn type structure approximately 1800 square feet, 3 overhead doors and a man 3068 man door.

They are declaring it S1 but don't show a bathroom on the prints. Gotta love being the bearer of bad news. Can't find an exclusion for bathrooms other than the occupancy will be under 15 so they only need one. I need more information from them on this one for sure.

Re: S1 and bathrooms

Travel distance.

Is the path of travel less than 500 feet of another restroom?

For a modern school, I definitely don't by the 500' idea.

Service staff are not going to be using student restrooms nor wandering around the campus for staff facilities.

Builder Bob said:
if they indicate the 500 foot rule, be sure to ask for it in writing from the school board ----- because I am sure thet they will not like the idea of the school having to be readily accessible for the people using this structure -
Great idea, thanks