• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

San Francisco’s Millennium Tower, so called tilting tower, approved for $100M repairs

mark handler

SAWHORSE
San Francisco’s tilting tower approved for $100M repairs
September 24, 2019
The sinking Millennium Tower in San Francisco, California, will be going through a $100-million restoration.
Photo courtesy Wikimedia Commons
The infamous sinking and tilting Millennium Tower in San Francisco, California, will be going through a $100-million restoration after a settlement was achieved.
Since its completion in 2008, the 58-story building has sunk 457 mm (18 in.) with a lean of 356 mm (14 in.). Experts who inspected the $100-million proposal to fix the structure endorsed the repair plans, saying they “see no reason to withhold approval of the building permit for the structural upgrade of the foundation,” the San Francisco Chronicle reports.
As per the San Francisco Chronicle, the project requires 52 piles to be drilled 76 m (250 ft) below into the bedrock and connect to the existing infrastructure to reinforce the building. Additionally, the 0.6-m (2-ft) thick circular steel piles would be filled with steel reinforced concrete.

How do you jack up a 58 story building? 14” lean isnt a whole lot over that height, but if it keeps going the folks in Pisa will be envious.

How do you jack up a 58 story building? 14” lean isnt a whole lot over that height, but if it keeps going the folks in Pisa will be envious.
upload_2019-9-25_8-46-57.png
The Leaning Tower of Pisa was stabilized with a massive engineering operation that took place in the 90s, in the attempt to stop the monument from falling.

And the SF building cost how much initially?
Who is picking up the cost?
Good prices on condos?

I do not believe that they will jack up the building. Instead I expect that they will first install the new piers on the low side and then let the high side settle more before the piers on the high side. This would reduce the leaning.

The 14" out of plumb is actually less than the drift due to wind that would normally be found quite acceptable.

Reconciling the ground floor with the higher adjacent grade could be accomplished without having to raise the building.

What is the basis for saying that it is not enough?

View attachment 5896
The Leaning Tower of Pisa was stabilized with a massive engineering operation that took place in the 90s, in the attempt to stop the monument from falling.
I visited Pisa twice, before and after the stabilization. The first time I went into the tower. There was a turnstile at the entrance and I had to buy a ticket. There are no guardrails at the upper levels obviously, so you could get pushed out easily. If it was in the in USA, guardrails probably would have been installed!

The second time I visited, we could not enter the tower and had to keep a distance away. We could walk up to the anchor blocks for the cable, however.

Truly humbled by that video. Good things its National Beer Day, maybe I'll feel better later.

More information as to the connection of the vaults to the building is warranted.

Last edited: