• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

sealed crawl walls

Sifu

SAWHORSE
I have an DP specifying rock wool draped down the interior face of a crawl wall to provide the required r-value. They will have it sealed behind the poly to provide the encapsulation of the crawlspace environment. I typically see a closed cell insulation and have never seen loose batts draped this way. I am concerned about moisture wicking and being held behind the poly although if the interior is sealed maybe that is not a problem. I don't know. Anybody seen this before or have a yes or no code reference?

It is listed for the application and can be provided with vapor barrier attached.

According to NAIMA rock wool glass fiber and plastic foams absorb less than 1% of their weight. Cellulose will absorb 5-20 %

The drape insulation that I see is 4' wide fiberglass on a roll, the vinyl vapor barrier has small perforations so it can dry. It's attached to the sill plate and a sleeper near grade