• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Section 2407.1 (2018 IBC)

Does 1/8" glass x 1/16" Laminate x 1/8" glass meet the 1/4" Minimum?

• (Yes) meets minimum

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • (No) Does Not meet minimum

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tbz

Silver Member
So here is the question I am looking for points of interp on.

2407.1 Materials. ....... (Last Sentence) "For all glazing types, the minimum nominal thickness shall be 1/4 inch (6.4mm)."

So how are you defining types?

My belief is:
  • Monolithic is one type
  • Monolithic Tempered is another type
  • 9/16" Laminated / tempered is another type (1/4" x 1/16" Lami x 1/4")
  • 5/16" Laminated / tempered is another type (1/8" x 1/16" Lami x 1/8")
So here is the question: how are you defining type to equate to glass panels in laminated glass?

The (2) 1/8" glass panels that are laminated together to make a 5/16" glass panel this is a type of glass panel.

Does this meet your definition of type and therefore meet the 1/4" minimum noted above?

OR is it that when building a laminated glass panel you can't use any glazing at all that equates to less than 1/4", thus the minimum glass panel size would need to be 9/16" to meet the "TYPE" requirement (1/4"G x 1/16"L x 1/4"G).

So say you all?????????

Regards Tom

I say it is referring to the overall glass unit thickness and not each individual lite used in the laminated assembly.

I seem to key in on the use of the word 'nominal' to indicate it is the dimension of all plies. Note that it is italicized, so it is a defined term per CH. 2.

Nominal. The specified dimension plus an allowance for the joints with which the units are to be laid. Nominal dimensions are usually stated in whole numbers. Thickness is given first, followed by height and then length.