• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Separate Potable Water Line Required ???

globe trekker

Is there a section in the IPC ( `06 ) that requires buildings on the same lot / parcel to have a separate

connection to a continuous potable water source, similar to the requirement of having a separate

sanitary sewage drain line connection [ Section 703.1 in the IPC ] ?

I have a building that is proposing to legally separate in to two separate buildings.

Thanks !! ;)

Re: Separate Potable Water Line Required ???

The utility company probably has a requirement or public works. If not there should be easments in place to take care of problems.

mtlogcabin,

Thanks for your input. The public works dept. IS the utility company around here and they do not

have any requirements for a separate potable water line. Also, no easements are yet in place.

I just find it interesting [ lacking ??? ] that the IPC does not include such a requirement similar to

the one for a separate sewer line. :?

globe - Without looking for a 'requirement', have you suggested that it would be a good idea from a service standpoint? If there is a problem in the first unit served, the second unit would lose water service during the repair.

Friday afternoon, Holiday weekend, that second unit is occupied by a company that is open all weekend, but the first unit is closed. Disaster strikes... a major break in the water line in the first unit. Did I mention the business owner and all his employees are out of town for the long weekend?

Just a thought...

Not code but certainly a local issue.

If A's water bill is shared by B, who pays, how is it metered, etc. If separately metered, then the utility would have to decide, since water supply is usually the property owner's unti it reaches the meter.

No code that I have ever been aware of.

We adopted a City ordinance that requires seperate water tap/meter and seperate sewer tap.

The guy in unit "a" paying for guys water in unit "b" water and getting drug into the arguements that I didn't plug the sewer, the other guy did etc. caused the City fathers to decide seperate taps are the way to go and they did a local amendment to the plumbing code.

And I must say it works so much better this way.

By the way the worst problems were when unit a didn't pay the water bill and unit b got his water shut off too and wasn't at fault, nasty situation.

Texas transplant's got it covered,

try ordinance change route, I would'nt buy building B with my neighbor in control of my water supply. :idea: