• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Shipping Container Houses and Other Buildings

jar546

Forum Coordinator
I like the idea. I think that energy is the biggest challenge with these. Personally I saw these as a commercial building in Las Vegas and thought it was pretty cool.

Since they (buildings) are designed through an engineering firm, I really don't see an issue as long as all other requirements are met.

I don't have an issue with them either, but we don't have any here yet.

And if we'd take energy out of the codes like we ought to, there'd be no need to worry about it.

When done it will look like a stack of shipping containers.....and that's because it is a stack of shipping containers. This might catch on in a third world country but it won't float here.

My luck, if I was to build a home with shipping containers China would want the darn things back!

A while back I had a residence wanting to use one for a shed, "there goes the neighborhood!"

No issue with container homes from me, this one looks like crap IMO.

Insulation, I don't see that as much of an issue, XPS on the floor with 3/4" sturdy board then flooring, closed cell spray foam on walls after min dimension steel stud stand off framed by a half inch to eliminate thermal bridging and same on the ceiling also rigid insulation roof. Or something like that!