• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Shopping Third-Party Inspection Agencies Until One of Them Tells You What You Want to Hear

jar546

Forum Coordinator
This is yet another story where we were hired and paid to do a plan review for a commercial property that wanted to build a little strip mall using pole barn-style construction. This was our plan review letter from 2009. We never heard back and less than 3 weeks after this letter, the project was under construction. We had nothing to do with this project. This particular one was in Wilkes-Barre City which we supplemented for several years with plan review and inspections.
Screen Shot 2024-01-20 at 09.21.13.png

I was managing a tenant space full gut & demo in Delray Beach about 8 yrs ago, inheirited the project from another PM. The gc had been allowed to engage a testing lab directly … the concrete reports were as good as you would expect in that situation.

On the other hand, i had a similar project in miami beach, third party inspector was excellent.

Last edited:
Testing labs are a necessary evil. I don't trust any of them, but we're stuck with them.

Many years ago, I was project manager for an exterior rehab on a mid-rise condo building with crumbling brick veneer. The building was less than 10 years old. We needed to find out what had gone so we could fix it in a way that wouldn't be an instant replay. As part of our investigation, we sent samples of the mortar to a testing lab for petrographic analysis. In due time, we got back a report, that provided a breakdown of the components by weight, and told us what type mortar it was.

The problem was, the proportions didn't match the type. So I called the lab and spoke to the owner. I told him the proportions they reported didn't match the mortar type they said it was, and I asked which was correct. His answer:

"Which do you want it to be?"

Mercifully, that particular testing laboratory is no longer in business.

Since then, I try to look over their shoulder and review every report (or at least the first couple of reports in a series) against the ASTM standard for the test, so I can get an idea of whether they conducted the testing according to the standard, and if they reported the results as called for in the standard. More often than not, the first reports don't follow the reporting protocol in the standard, and I have to call them up and have them issue a new report. Curiously, often what had been reported as a pass magically becomes a fail when the report follows the ASTM standard. Who'd a thunk it?