• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Shutoff valve in plenum per 409.1.2 of IFGC

jar546

Forum Coordinator
In accordance with the provisions of Section 409.1.2 of the International Fuel Gas Code, is a shutoff valve permitted to be located in a mechanical room that contains electric heating and/or air-handling equipment when the mechanical room serves as a plenum?

jar546 said:
In accordance with the provisions of Section 409.1.2 of the International Fuel Gas Code, is a shutoff valve permitted to be located in a mechanical room that contains electric heating and/or air-handling equipment when the mechanical room serves as a plenum?
Yes nothing would prohibit it being installed in the room if it is a main or isolation valve, but if it serves another gas appliance it needs to be located in same room and within six feet of the appliance it serves.

Then I agree with you GH, although the room is acting as a plenum, it is not a furnace plenum. The ICC's official position is in line with ours.

Have a look at older ICC interpretations. IIRC a BO from Georgia asked the same question a few years back. That was the position taken.

jar546 said:
Then I agree with you GH, although the room is acting as a plenum, it is not a furnace plenum. The ICC's official position is in line with ours.
Furnace Plenum has a specific definition and is stated best by NFPA 54

A compartment or chamber that is supplied with the furnace or constructed of duct work that is attached to the inlet or outlet of a furnace or air handler unit and has one or more circulating air ducts connected to it.

IFGC verbiage is similar.

the shut off valve needs to be in the same room as the fuel burning equipment; how is it a plenum.. environmental air just wanders around without being ducted in/out?

where do we normally find the gas shut off valve for a stove (usually behind the stove, right)?

RJJ said:
Good question Peach! On how does the Mechanical room become a plenum and if it has electric heat what type of mechanical equipment is located there?
I am pretty sure he was looking for clarification of the verbiage "Furnace Plenum" as used in IFGC 409.1.2

The definition of furnace plenum given in IFGC kind of neutralizes the other requirements, however if the shutoff valve is not located in the ductwork (I belive ductwork is probably required), it still needs to be in the same room within 6'.

Just like disconnecting means, I think the valve needs to be in the same room/within sight.