1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Shutoff valve in plenum per 409.1.2 of IFGC

Discussion in 'Fuel Gas Codes' started by jar546, Jul 2, 2013.

1. jar546

jar546 *****istrator

In accordance with the provisions of Section 409.1.2 of the International Fuel Gas Code, is a shutoff valve permitted to be located in a mechanical room that contains electric heating and/or air-handling equipment when the mechanical room serves as a plenum?

2. Gregg Harris

Gregg Harris Gold Member

Yes nothing would prohibit it being installed in the room if it is a main or isolation valve, but if it serves another gas appliance it needs to be located in same room and within six feet of the appliance it serves.

3. jar546

jar546 *****istrator

Does that change anyone's answer?

4. Gregg Harris

Gregg Harris Gold Member

Since I am the only respondent, No it does not change my statement

5. jar546

jar546 *****istrator

Then I agree with you GH, although the room is acting as a plenum, it is not a furnace plenum. The ICC's official position is in line with ours.

6. pyrguy

pyrguy Moderator

Have a look at older ICC interpretations. IIRC a BO from Georgia asked the same question a few years back. That was the position taken.

7. Gregg Harris

Gregg Harris Gold Member

Furnace Plenum has a specific definition and is stated best by NFPA 54

A compartment or chamber that is supplied with the furnace or constructed of duct work that is attached to the inlet or outlet of a furnace or air handler unit and has one or more circulating air ducts connected to it.

IFGC verbiage is similar.

8. peach

peach Sawhorse

the shut off valve needs to be in the same room as the fuel burning equipment; how is it a plenum.. environmental air just wanders around without being ducted in/out?

9. RJJ

RJJ Platinum Member

Good question Peach! On how does the Mechanical room become a plenum and if it has electric heat what type of mechanical equipment is located there?

10. peach

peach Sawhorse

where do we normally find the gas shut off valve for a stove (usually behind the stove, right)?

11. Gregg Harris

Gregg Harris Gold Member

I am pretty sure he was looking for clarification of the verbiage "Furnace Plenum" as used in IFGC 409.1.2

12. RJJ

RJJ Platinum Member

Peach yes, but it could be else where as long as it is within six feet!??

Greg! I agree

13. peach

peach Sawhorse

The definition of furnace plenum given in IFGC kind of neutralizes the other requirements, however if the shutoff valve is not located in the ductwork (I belive ductwork is probably required), it still needs to be in the same room within 6'.

Just like disconnecting means, I think the valve needs to be in the same room/within sight.