• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Simon pus electric car charging station at Florida shopping center

mark handler

SAWHORSE
Simon pus electric car charging station at Florida shopping center

Simon Property Group has placed an electric vehicle charging station at a retail center in Orlando, Fla. The charging station, which is near the food court entrance, has been popular with shoppers, says George Caraghiaur, Simon Property's senior vice president of energy and procurement. "We have had an outstanding response from customers about the charging station at The Florida Mall," he said. "The funniest one was from an elderly gentleman who was tickled to learn that he could charge his mobility chair with it." REIT.com (4/7), Central Florida News 13 (Orlando, Fla.) (4/6

http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/cRoTCmvffcdydpmUfCwnawcNpPEg?format=standard

Can't wait till they put a charging station at the local watering hole; "Honey, I'll be home in a couple hours, my car has to charge."

RJJ said:
Who pays for the electric?
Depends on how it's set up. There is a 99M grant from the DOE to start installing some 10,000+ charging units in 5-6 states. The guys doing the work in those states are is called ETEC. They came by the office and asked if we would be interested in a unit.

Somewhere/how they monitor the units for the next 3-5 years and then turn the unit over to the property owner. The person I talked with seemed to think since the grant paid for the install it would be given to the property owner at little or no cost. They would be allowed to charge for the cost of the electricity used if they property owners wanted to. The ETEC rep seemed to think the novelty of having a charging unit would lead at first to "free" use since there would only be about 6250 commercial units installed under this program.

More Info here--- http://www.theevproject.com/

http://www.ecotality.com/

When are people going to understand that a government grant is not equal to free. A government grant means you and I pay for it.

And if the "property owner" is paying for the greenies to juice up their gay little cars, that cost is passed along to the tenants, which in turn is payed for again... by you and I.

Until someone invents a device that actually pays for itself without taxpayer subsidies, it's all bullsh1t.

texasbo said:
.......Until someone invents a device that actually pays for itself without taxpayer subsidies, it's all bullsh1t.
It's all BS texasbo.

Including the energy code, but guess who's telling us to enforce the energy code? And when someone steps out of line and wants to build a home from straw bales or pop bottles guess who tells him he needs an engineer to "design it". We are so used to looking at something and saying you need two exits, or raise the sign 1/2inch, slopes not right, etc.... here on the forum and out in the field. Makes one wonder why can't a guy build his two story treehouse and live in that if he wants.

Just my 2 cents.

I know, and we've been through this all before. But I think it is reasonable to draw a distinction between life safety enforcement and enforcement of a political agenda.

The cops are out there stopping speeders so they don't kill themselves or someone else. You and I are asking for engineering on 15 story wood structures so people don't die.

But I am philosophically opposed to being forced to pay for someone's pet political lark, or the trendy buzzword of the day, especially when there is no true benefit; it's just a shell game. Electric cars and wind turbines in low velocity wind zones aren't efficient - they just transfer the cost somewhere else - somewhere less visible.

If someone invents a perpetual motion machine, or a wind turbine that works in my low velocity wind zone, and I'm told to enforce it, then hey, I'm okay with that.

Texasbo: Spot on! However, if the juice is free then I would consider a change. We all know that there is no free lunch and political agenda cost big time and it comes out of our pockets.

FredK said:
It's all BS texasbo.Including the energy code, but guess who's telling us to enforce the energy code? And when someone steps out of line and wants to build a home from straw bales or pop bottles guess who tells him he needs an engineer to "design it".

Just my 2 cents.
The prescriptive provisions for straw bale construction are contained in the IgCC PV 2 Section 507 including prescriptive methods for fire resistance rating, energy envelope, and structural applications.

Last edited by a moderator:
here the power company has raised everyone"s rates and then started a solar energy rebate program for the wealthy who can afford to install them. screw the wage earner who cant afford the installation costs and feed the rich rebates.

Handler, what is Simon pus?

pwood said:
here the power company has raised everyone"s rates and then started a solar energy rebate program for the wealthy who can afford to install them. screw the wage earner who cant afford the installation costs and feed the rich rebates. Handler, what is Simon pus?
typo, missing "t" ----Puts