• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Simpson Strong Wall

ICE

Oh Well

There's one on each side of a garage door.

My first reaction is that this is wrong.

That's based on the installation instructions that don't depict anything even remotely similar to this.

Then I got to wondering why there are two of these for the garage portal.

Hopefully, the wall is over engineered to the point that this will work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is one of your best 'I can't believe they did that' pictures.

Even with pictures to follow?!?!?!? :eek:ops

I don't care who you are; that's funny. People should have to be certified to install this stuff. Instead we get people who can't read plans and instructions in any language. And, to top it off most inspectors don't even look at engineered designs; and wouldn't know what they were looking at if they did. sheesh

Have the DP or Simpson sign off on it, reject it

Not installed per manufacturers instructions

Basically useless

41b.gif
Not close

Ya these people are going to be crestfallen. I was there on Friday for a roof sheathing inspection. They have truss issues too.

The contractor was lamenting that the owner is about to screw him. Again.

Now I show up in the middle of a fight.

The contractor and owners are plenty rough around the edges.

Well maybe they will form an alliance to attack me and start getting along.

When they call for framing inspection the Dark Cloud of Gloom will decend.

They are bound to say that I am picking on them.

It's going to be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Yeah, they really screwed up but it can be salvaged. Have an engineer or competent architect design the shear transfer.........Solid block all voids between the strong wall and header, sheath entire face of wall with structural I ply, strap it at top and bottom of header, carrying blocking into the strong wall........

"Yeah, they really screwed up but it can be salvaged. Have an engineer or competent architect design the shear transfer.........Solid block all voids between the strong wall and header, sheath entire face of wall with structural I ply, strap it at top and bottom of header, carrying blocking into the strong wall........"

I'd start with take that junk down...

Mac said:
"Yeah, they really screwed up but it can be salvaged. Have an engineer or competent architect design the shear transfer.........Solid block all voids between the strong wall and header, sheath entire face of wall with structural I ply, strap it at top and bottom of header, carrying blocking into the strong wall........" I'd start with take that junk down...
Not necessary and much more expensive than doing a correction in the field. There's times when starting over is the only option, this isn't one of them.

"Not necessary and much more expensive than doing a correction in the field. There's times when starting over is the only option, this isn't one of them."

Note the solid header should extend to each corner of the building.

Mac said:
"Not necessary and much more expensive than doing a correction in the field. There's times when starting over is the only option, this isn't one of them."Note the solid header should extend to each corner of the building.
For the vertical loading a solid header is not required (just look at any garage built before lateral loading became such an issue) and there's ways, some of which I outlined in my first post, to transfer the shear loading sufficiently to the strong walls. As a matter of fact we've run into problems where the contractor has not followed the plans and Simpson has always been very cooperative in helping us come up with a work around that solves the problem without having to resort to 'tear it out and do it over'. As I pointed out earlier also, sometimes that is the only solution but from what I've seen here not this time.

Agree with Rio it is an easy fix. Have seen about a 1/2 dozen engineered fixes exactly as Rio described.

Solid block all voids between the strong wall and header, sheath entire face of wall with structural I ply

ICE said:
The other side of the wall at the other end of the header.
It keeps going on, doesn't it? As you know the stab bolts on a strong wall go quite a ways into the footing so while that is not good it's probably not a total disaster, especially as you mentioned up the thread that there is a strong wall on both sides.