• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Single Point water heater

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
I inspected a lot of small one bathroom occupancy's where there is only one toilet room and they only need tempered water for one lavatory. Most of the time they use a small single point water heater under the lavatory. I'm always told that I am the only inspector that ever required a water temperature limiting device that conforms to ASSE 1070 for this. This seems to be true because I always see many existing lavatories with a single point water heater without this required temperature limiting device. Am I being too strict about this?

607.1.1 Temperature limiting means. A thermostat control
for a water heater shall not serve as the temperature
limiting means for the purposes of complying with the
requirements of this code for maximum allowable hot or
tempered water delivery temperature at fixtures.
607.1.2 Tempered water temperature control. Tempered
water shall be supplied through a water temperature
limiting device that conforms to ASSE 1070 and shall
limit the tempered water to a maximum of 110ºF (43ºC).
This provision shall not supersede the requirement for protective
shower valves in accordance with Section 424.3.

No you are correct they are required.
Are you too strict? I don't think so you are just raising the bar where others are not.

I'm told I'm too strict for making sure the water actually gets hot. The ones I have seen seem to be underpowered and need to have the flow restricted to allow them to get hot enough. I have a thermometer in the truck but only pull it out if people dispute that it's not hot enough. I have yet to encounter one that got too hot, but if that was the case I too would ask for the limiter.

I have encountered restaurants with bathrooms that take a long time before the water gets hot. The employees use the same bathroom. I’m pretty sure that’s a Health Dept. concern.

For cases where I get the "you're the only one making me do this" argument, I just respond with: "just because other jurisdictions are not making that specific item a priority, does not mean that it is not required there too. I'm sure they actively inspect for things that I don't. Our hope is that between all of our jurisdictions, you will better come to understand all of the requirements."

I have encountered restaurants with bathrooms that take a long time before the water gets hot. The employees use the same bathroom. I’m pretty sure that’s a Health Dept. concern.
Generally speaking yes, as part of a building permit final inspection I think it falls under our responsibility. Assuming they pass final inspection its no longer our responsibility. How many times do people change something as soon as we leave? Don't know, don't care. We do our job to the best of our ability. Ever slow down when you see a cop and then speed up as soon as you're around the corner? I have.

For cases where I get the "you're the only one making me do this" argument, I just respond with: "just because other jurisdictions are not making that specific item a priority, does not mean that it is not required there too. I'm sure they actively inspect for things that I don't. Our hope is that between all of our jurisdictions, you will better come to understand all of the requirements."
Agreed. I understand it's challenging for builders to navigate all the different jurisdictions and try to learn what each inspector "wants." I think they appreciate when the inspector makes it clear they are following code, not imposing "what they want." Some things are up to interpretation, others are very clear. It's usually the little things. For me it's little things like the air-gap for dishwasher, clearly required in CA. No use of AAV's. Tracer wire, specifically wire for plastic water lines, CA plumbing code is very specific about the size and type of wire. Other things are clear to me, but maybe others interpret things a little different, like the ufer ground (CEE) AHJ's here require it, but how it's interpreted varies. Some require 20 ft of copper in the bottom of the footing, no exceptions, others allow bonding to the top run of rebar instead of the bottom, it's all over the place. Very confusing for builders, so rather than tell them "what I want" I pull out the book and let them read it and agree together what the code says. I get a good response from that approach, I have even had another inspector from our neighbor city call and thank me for the clarification.

Thanks guys and gals.
But when is a water temperature limiting device that conforms to ASSE 1070 required in an existing building that does not have any?. I know I should require it if all new plumbing is installed but what about:
Y or N
1. New faucet only
2. New lavatory or hand washing sink only
3. 1 & 2
4. New hot water heater only
5. 1, 2 & 4
6.. New piping only from water heater to lav or hand washing sink
7. New plumbing and sinks for kitchen but lavatory plumbing was not touched
8. Change of use or occupancy with no plumbing work.
9. Alterations but no plumbing work

Would you accept a tankless water heater that electronically controls the heater elements to limit the output water temperature?

Would you accept a tankless water heater that electronically controls the heater elements to limit the output water temperature?
Would you? It looks like the code doesn't care if the water heater has a tank or not.

607.1.1 Temperature limiting means. A thermostat control
for a water heater shall not serve as the temperature
limiting means for the purposes of complying with the
requirements of this code for maximum allowable hot or
tempered water delivery temperature at fixtures.

This makes it seem that you can't use a fixture with temp limiting device built in because it says you can't use a water heater thermostat to deliver hot or temperd water to the fixture?