• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Single step at bedroom door permitted?

pathanay

I'm converting a sitting room/den to a bedroom for a single family home under the 2016 California Residential Code.

The sitting room floor is about 6" lower than the rest of the house (on account of it being a later addition on a slab whereas the rest of the house has floor joists over a crawlspace).

Therefore there will be a step down right at the bedroom door. Will this be a concern for code/inspection?

I can only find floor height requirements for exterior doors in the CRC 2016.

Here is a plan with D3 (circled in orange) being the door in question:
NQ2PVYB.png

I don't know about CA code, but there is this, which way is the door swing?.

R311.7.6 Landings for stairways. There shall be a floor

or landing at the top and bottom of each stairway. The

width perpendicular to the direction of travel shall be not

less than the width of the flight served. Landings of shapes

other than square or rectangular shall be permitted provided

that the depth at the walk line and the total area is

not less than that of a quarter circle with a radius equal to

the required landing width. Where the stairway has a

straight run, the depth in the direction of travel shall be not

less than 36 inches (914 mm).

Exception: A floor or landing is not required at the top

of an interior flight of stairs, including stairs in an

enclosed garage, provided that a door does not swing

over the stairs.

which way is the door swing?.
The door swings into the bedroom so you have to step down as you enter. Maybe this pic helps:
WJyPpek.png

Regarding the section you quoted:
  1. Is this considered a stairway?
  2. Would an outswing door be considered ok?
Thanks.

The intent of the code is to not make a person step backwards (or be pushed backwards) when the door opens over the stairs. As this has a single step, the intent of the code is not needed, therefore I would accept.

I do acknowledge that this is not the letter of the code, but is based upon the intent.

Looks like it would be very easy to trim 1/2" off a 2x6 to make sleepers, and top with a layef of 3/4 ply so the floors line up.

Looks like it would be very easy to trim 1/2" off a 2x6 to make sleepers, and top with a layef of 3/4 ply so the floors line up.
It's a good idea. I'm not sure if it's exactly 6" but that's easily measured.

But I'm hoping it doesn't come to this because I'd prefer not losing ceiling height.

A six inch drop is too much. People that don’t expect that will stumble. Unexpecting people with a compromised skeleton will get hurt. I would place a landing three inches below upper floor.

A six inch drop is too much. People that don’t expect that will stumble. Unexpecting people with a compromised skeleton will get hurt. I would place a landing three inches below upper floor.
Good point. Safety first regardless of whether inspector let's it fly.

I guess it's either add a landing or raise the whole floor.

Thanks all.

Here is a plan with D3 (circled in orange) being the door in question:
NQ2PVYB.png
Looks like it was a garage that was made in to a room, anyway the simple fix if they give you a problem, looks like you might be able to reverse the swing in to the kitchen, maybe, the length might not be there to the other doorway, but that would solve the swing issue. as to Stepping down, I grew up in a 1960's colonial in Jersey, the dining room, living room and the TV room all where one step down from the hallways and kitchen area. Owner would get used to it fast, confused me when I went to other homes, as I kept stepping up from habit when walking out of a room.

CRC Section R202 Definitions -----STAIR. A change in elevation, consisting of one or more risers.

CRC R311.7.6 Landings for stairways
There shall be a floor or landing at the top and bottom of each stairway. The width perpendicular to the direction of travel shall be not less than the width of the flight served. Landings of shapes other than square or rectangular shall be permitted provided that the depth at the walk line and the total area is not less than that of a quarter circle with a radius equal to the required landing width. Where the stairway has a straight run, the depth in the direction of travel shall be not less than 36 inches.
Exception: A floor or landing is not required at the top of an interior flight of stairs, including stairs in an enclosed garage, provided that a door does not swing over the stairs.

Residential code does not define Egress Doors, some would say that is the required egress door for that room

CRC R311.3.1 Floor elevations at the required egress doors
Landings or finished floors at the required egress door shall be not more than 1-1/2 inches lower than the top of the threshold.
Exception: The landing or floor on the exterior side shall be not more than 7-3/4 inches below the top of the threshold provided the door does not swing over the landing or floor.

pathanay, Very nice graphics used in your query!

Bedroom: Could a pocket door be used to eliminate the swing issue, one 36-inch wide stair step then?
And you've got a window out of the bedroom that meets egress, and a SD right?
Does CBC require the receptacles to be AFCI protected on a remodel?

Bet she's talking about the wall paint color!

Bedroom: Could a pocket door be used to eliminate the swing issue, one 36-inch wide stair step then?
And you've got a window out of the bedroom that meets egress, and a SD right?
Does CBC require the receptacles to be AFCI protected on a remodel?
Thanks. I'm not I like pocket doors. Also, it might solve the swing issue but the step down is still a safety hazard I think.
Landing as shown must be rectangular
I was just trying the avoid the inevitable toe-stubbing with a rectangular landing. I think I'm leaning towards raising the whole floor. Thanks.

The land could be a radius or angled as long as the shortest distance from the latch side of the door is 36". As for egress I would except the window. Also appear in the drawing it may be a sliding door.

I would use a pocket door since a user must stop their travel in order to open the door thus reducing the tripping hazard.
Or raise the floor as suggested. Lightweight concrete might be faster, cheaper and easier than framing a new floor plus it would not provide a space for the insects to live in.